a 238 dollar tuition problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medShox, May 28, 2008.

1. medShox

medShox pre-med

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#1 medShox, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. twoinone

Don't do that. A loss of $238 is much better than a dent in credit score.

4. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed

Medical Student
    You could speak with the registrar/dean of that particular department and plead your case, but you may have to eat that cost. Just be glad it isn't $1200 dollars.

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Do NOT stop the credit card transaction. The school will still hold you responsible for the payment, and eventually wind up turning you over for collection.

Don't ask your mom to call with that story, either, unless you're prepared to be taken to court for credit card fraud, or wind up letting her take the fall for the same charge in order to get you off.

Try talking to the registrar in person. Even if you wind up losing that $238, it's MUCH better than the alternatives.

6. medShox

medShox pre-med

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I assumed that credit card was just as easy to reverse a reaction like Paypal. I ordered a laptop from Canada last semester and the seller seemed very fishy with his request for my personal financial information. So I got on the phone with paypal and they reversed the payment immediately with no further question after I explained it to them in 2 sentence. Thanks for the heads up about the credit card. I guess I'll try to talk to the registrar's office or eat the 200 dollar. Any other advice will be welcome.:oops:

7. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    PayPal doesn't affect your credit score. Also with PayPal, the seller usually has more leverage than the buyer since they have to send their money first before they get the product.

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    You have "family obligations" that preclude you from taking the class. So you are paying $238 to be able to fulfill that obligation. Suck it up.

9. 1956Goldtop

Pre-Medical
    loving the response lizzym :)

10. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    yea, not much you can do here. the school had these policies in place long before you decided to drop the class i'm sure. it sucks, but it's not really "unfair".

cancelling the credit card payment won't do much. as others have said, your school will still bill you.

11. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    In most cases the school will be able to refund it. There is usally a special form, as is my experience from different schools, and it may take a month or so to be approved, if at all. I went through this, as did my friends at other schools. I find that schools are usually more than willing to work with their students, but most are not willing to ask. Do not mess with the transaction. If there is no appeals process then you will just have to deal with the loss.

12. riverwoman1040

Medical Student
    I'm sorry to be blunt here, but honestly I'm pretty shocked. Is this your first year of college? Credit cards are not paypal, and the academic institution that you have entrusted with your undergraduate education is not a fishy internet company (we hope) You might want to spend some time educating yourself on personal banking and finances or med school and the rest of your financial life is going to be pretty tough.

If you're planning on going to med school, this money is a drop in the bucket. Your school's policy is actually more lenient than ours was. Sell some plasma and do what you gotta do.

13. flip26

Medical Student
    If you screw the school now, they will screw you later when you need for them to send a transcript to AMCAS or to your med school...you will have to pay all unpaid fees and fines at that point...even those parking tickets you threw away can come back to haunt you...

14. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous

How desperate can you be? It's only $238! If anything, you should have your parents eat the cost since they are the ones who are making you drop the class. Neither the credit card company or your school is at fault here.

15. nu2004

Medical Student
    +1