A 4.00 student is ...[ share ]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A 4.0 student is someone who needs to get out more, and probably needs to get laid.

Because one can't be successful in school without being unsuccessful with women. The two are completely mutually exclusive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A 4.0 student always ruins the curve for everyone else. Always.

Come on guys, it was just a little bit of humor ;-). I wonder if I hit a nerve from some of those touchier responses.

lol 4.0s aren't hard to get at all. There is an absurd amount of stereotyping in this thread.

I have one at a top 20 ugrad school. Took crap tons of credits every semester - enough to graduate early. I go have fun every weekend and chill every day except ones before tests. All you have to do is game the system: learn what you have to know and nothing more. I usually attend every class and I only cram the night before an exam to study. I also do low-risk cheating. Most of my nights are free as soon as class/work is over at like 6pm -> do homework and then hang out with friends.

Yeah, there are some sleepless nights, but if you can manage that you can have grades and a life.

lol 4.0s aren't hard to get at all. There is an absurd amount of stereotyping in this thread.

I have one at a top 20 ugrad school. Took crap tons of credits every semester - enough to graduate early. I go have fun every weekend and chill every day except ones before tests. All you have to do is game the system: learn what you have to know and nothing more. I usually attend every class and I only cram the night before an exam to study. I also do low-risk cheating. Most of my nights are free as soon as class/work is over at like 6pm -> do homework and then hang out with friends.

Yeah, there are some sleepless nights, but if you can manage that you can have grades and a life.

lolwut

How is ANY sort of cheating low-risk? If the professor is on to you.... POP! there goes med school, there goes any other professional school (at least for a few years).

And also, I think you lost any and all credibility when you said you have a 4.0 and you cheat.

How is ANY sort of cheating low-risk? If the professor is on to you.... POP! there goes med school, there goes any other professional school (at least for a few years).

And also, I think you lost any and all credibility when you said you have a 4.0 and you cheat.

Copying written homeworks and changing up the wording is pretty low risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Copying written homeworks and changing up the wording is pretty low risk.

Says you. Professors aren't idiots, you do it too often it someone will be on to you.

And the guy didn't say he does that anyways, you did. Even if he does, I'm sure it's not the only thing, as something like that is a bit too minor to warrant a 4.0 (I'm thinking something like wandering eyes, small notes written on the hand, etc.).

Says you. Professors aren't idiots, you do it too often it someone will be on to you.

And the guy didn't say he does that anyways, you did. Even if he does, I'm sure it's not the only thing, as something like that is a bit too minor to warrant a 4.0 (I'm thinking something like wandering eyes, small notes written on the hand, etc.).

Buying the answer book for your physics textbook is, arguably, low-risk cheating.

A 4.0 student always ruins the curve for everyone else. Always.

Not "always". When I took Orgo II, the professor removed the top scores that he felt did not "fit" the curve, gave those an A+ and graded the residual on a curve. So, no curve busting :p

Yeah, low risk cheating involves copying homeworks, using friend's old projects, and storing cheat sheets in the memory on your calculator. The people who get caught when using these techniques are bonafide ******s. It's extremely easy to look at someone's work and not copy it word for word.

Also, 4.0 students don't necessarily ruin the curve. I have a couple of times, but lately I've just been doing the minimum work to get an A.

someone who needs to be gunned down :smuggrin:. Super cereal.

I'm a 4.0.... so far....
You might want to keep an eye on your homework/notes :smuggrin:. In all seriousness though I would still have my 4.0 if somebody hadn't taken my Hypothesis testing notes. The test kicked my ass and my grade went from a surefire A to an A-. :cry:, could you imagine the possibilities of a URM with a 4.0 GPA?

You might want to keep an eye on your homework/notes :smuggrin:. In all seriousness though I would still have my 4.0 if somebody hadn't taken my Hypothesis testing notes. The test kicked my ass and my grade went from a surefire A to an A-. :cry:, could you imagine the possibilities of a URM with a 4.0 GPA?

Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm competitive yet, a 4.0 with only 8 credits under your belt doesn't sound "impressive", but I am going to maintain that 4.0 GPA no matter what.

I want to get into the University of California (med)... that's my dream school.

Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm competitive yet, a 4.0 with only 8 credits under your belt doesn't sound "impressive", but I am going to maintain that 4.0 GPA no matter what.

I want to get into the University of California (med)... that's my dream school.

Uh, which one? Your dream may be closer than you think. Or farther.

I'm still a noob, but isn't California like one of the hardest states to get into a decent med school? If so, I wish you good luck.

I'm still a noob, but isn't California like one of the hardest states to get into a decent med school? If so, I wish you good luck.

I don't know really. I know they require at least a 3.6, my plan is to move there after undergrad so I'll be a resident then apply. I am going to get my AVN award in my gap year, since being a doctor and an AVN star are both important goals for me.

I don't know really. I know they require at least a 3.6, my plan is to move there after undergrad so I'll be a resident then apply. I am going to get my AVN award in my gap year, since being a doctor and an AVN star are both important goals for me.
Great :D. That's always a plus.
Why is everyone taking a year off? As soon as I leave undergrad I'm totally going straight into med school.

Good luck. I'll let an actual California resident advise you since while I have some cursory knowledge of UCs, I'm certain that someone else understands their requirements far better than I.

Great :D. That's always a plus.
Why is everyone taking a year off? As soon as I leave undergrad I'm totally going straight into med school.

I'm taking it so... I don't have to pay out of state tuition, and do the fun exciting things of CA.

Good luck. I'll let an actual California resident advise you since while I have some cursory knowledge of UCs, I'm certain that someone else understands their requirements far better than I.
Thank you, I would greatly appreciate that, hopefully I could return the favor in the future.

^I can't believe how troll-blind you guys are..

AVN award during a gap year? That will look great on a secondary

Not to put down any other careers people have, but.....

notsureifsrs

Gawd I love SDN. :laugh:

A 4.0 student is every med school's dream candidate and every premeds "kick me" target. LOL:)

^I can't believe how troll-blind you guys are..

AVN award during a gap year? That will look great on a secondary
Wow, can't believe I didn't see that, I was just paying attention the fact they were taking a gap year. Completely skipped over the AVN bit :smack:

I would encourage you to not just play it safe with an expectation that one day in the future you'll cut loose and challenge yourself. Habits have a way of hardening and becoming quite difficult to shake.

As far why you'd sign up for a harder professor, do it because it'll push you to work harder and learn more. When I was a freshman, a (brilliant) upperclassman friend of mine was bemoaning the difficulty of the notoriously tough modern algebra sequence. It was widely agreed to be, he told me, the hardest math class at the institute. I immediately knew I'd have to take it. Several years later, I did. It was, as advertised, very difficult. The professor was a great teacher, helpful, friendly, cogent, but he expected a lot from us and the material was, in fact, highly abstract and very, very challenging. I worked hard. I contorted my mind into all manner of bizarre shapes. I spent countless sleepless nights, desperately trying to find solutions to the problem sets. I learned so much, and I honed my already pretty good analytical skills to a razor sharp edge. I had a blast. And in the end I earned a B in both semesters, which I considered to be a fine showing.

I did that because I'm the kind of person who sees a challenge and immediately wants to step up to it. Because I don't look for the easier professor, I look for the _hardest_ professor. Because I'm not afraid to take risks. Because I want to be all I can be.

I'd encourage you to reconsider your priorities. Do you really want to go through life looking for the safe, easy route, telling yourself that some day in the future will be the time that you actually challenge yourself and start living for real? Or do you want to push yourself to your limits?

There's a difference between taking a safe/easy route and being cautious/calculated while taking a long and difficult one.

I'm very interested into research and hope to get into a MD/PhD program. I'm striving to keep my GPA above a 3.9 to stay competitive when application time comes, meaning I don't have very many mistakes to make. Sure I don't know my limits yet, but that doesn't mean I'll dive straight into a hellish schedule to find out. The way my schedule is planned now there's a steady increase in difficulty in my classes. Top that with my research, work, ECs, volunteering, and social life, and this is by no means an easy path. If I ease the stress on what I can, I just might be able to retain some semblance of life outside of my schoolwork/aspirations

Last edited:

URM+4.0=automatic residency placement of your choice.
Everyone knows that! :cool:

Actually, my pre-med advisor said that med schools may not like to see a candidate with a "perfect" academic record, because they haven't shown that they're able to deal with adversary. Someone who's used to getting perfect grades may not be able to deal with getting one grade that is less than perfect. Med schools don't just care about the numbers but care what kind of student you are and how you can cope with a "failure" (and yes some of us consider one B a failure).

So in short, a 3.8 or 3.9 may actually be BETTER than a 4.0, as crazy as it sounds...

If a perfect GPA were THAT important, there would be at least some med schools where the average GPA is a 4.0 or VERY close to it - and there aren't.