"A" / "A-" In Gen Chem 1 Lecture & Lab, But "B-" in Summer Gen Chem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN-2-Medicine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
AHHHHHH!!!! Venting!!!! Title basically sums it up, I took a chance on summer gen chem 2 and got a 80 class average which is only a B-, urghhh. How would I explain that to admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You won’t. They won’t care if the rest of your GPA is strong. A B+/- here or there isn’t death but definitely should not be the norm. Isn’t the average accepted applicant like 3.7?

Members don't see this ad :)
You won’t. They won’t care if the rest of your GPA is strong. A B+/- here or there isn’t death but definitely should not be the norm. Isn’t the average accepted applicant like 3.7?
Hmm, its something along those line but im non-traditional so hopefully doesn't look too bad :'(

pak ur sumscreem u gotta go carrib nao

/s if it wasn't obvious

One class does not make or break a trend. Put another way: a lower grade in one prerequisite will not move the needle. Learn from your mistakes and try to improve as you progress. Programs do like trends, but they are looking at multiple courses over a longer period of time. One lower semester won't break your application. Best of luck to you!

AHHHHHH!!!! Venting!!!! Title basically sums it up, I took a chance on summer gen chem 2 and got a 80 class average which is only a B-, urghhh. How would I explain that to admissions?
You don't, because no one will care.

If asked asked about it in interviews, just tell the truth.

And stop obsessing about single metrics.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a big deal if Chem is not your major. Lots of opportunities to bring things up. I do look to see if students take challenging courses like O Chem over the summer rather than with a full load during the regular semester. Just keep up the good work you showed 1st semester. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
It's 2029.

RN-2-Medicine is now a 2nd year resident working at the Jeffrey Bezos Memorial Amazon Fresh Prime Hospital in Seattle.

They are pimped by an attending on some obscure gen chem 2 topic they haven't seen since the MCAT. RN-2-Medicine is unable to answer.

The attending begins to yell at RN-2-Medicine. "You call yourself a physician?? Did you even get an A in Gen Chem 2?? How do you expect to save lives if you can't even remember watered down chemistry topics from 10 years ago??"

RN-2-Medicine looks down, a single tear rolling down their cheek. The B- has come back to bite them in the ass.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
As someone with a b minus in Chem 1, Chem 2, physics 2, Orgo 2, you dont. See the b minus is a magical thing. No one cares !! Interviewed at 2 cycles at 10 schools and all I was ever told was that I had good grades.

Reactions: 1 user