A big leap forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ylrebmik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm a junior in college... and have decided to switch my academic direction to pre-med.

I'm very far behind (to say the least) and never thought I would ever have the opportunity to go to the medical school. It's an incredbile feeling, but extremely overwhelming. All I keep thinking about is the amount of loans that will pile up over the next 8 years and how much time it will take to get through everything.

Any words of wisdom as I take this giant leap?

Members don't see this ad.

You've been a member since 2007 and you've just decided you want to go to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wile--Yup. I didn't want to go into my whole story, but in HS I wanted to be a vet but did awful in my classes. (I originally joined for the pre-vet section) So when I got into college I chose an easier major, communications and was going to go into that. But through my gen ed science classes I had to take, I fell in love with the sciences all over again and proved to myself I could be an honors student. Along with my part-time job at the hospital, it's made me realize how much I love the medical field and so here I am four years later as a pre-med.

HAHA. aSagacious. It may help just a little. But not really. It helps more to know that plenty of other people have just as much debt and get through it. Or so I hear. :p

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but technically, the loans will only pile up for 4 years while you are in medical school, if you leave out any loans from undergrad or postbac work you may do. Once you are in residency training, you get paid very little, but I imagine it is possible to not add extra loans. The average amount of loans for many schools is way over 100K which is a lot, but people end up paying them off.
Some other options to consider if the loans really freak you out are the various loan repayment opportunities available if you want to work in rural or undeserved areas and the military has some good options if you are willing to spend time working for them.
Take it one step at a time!

Don't be afraid to take a year or two after college, especially if you need to finish pre-reqs/round off your application.

Apply early

This. I wonder if we will ever see a day where if you apply in the middle of June it's today's equivalent of applying late October (- schools without rolling admissions)?

Apply early

Don't be afraid to take a year or two after college, especially if you need to finish pre-reqs/round off your application.

These. Taking time off between undergrad & med school (although necessary in my case) was extremely beneficial. Not only did I mature professionally, emotionally, and socially, but I had a chance to make some money, too