A bit frustrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnabedoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just wanto to say that I am more than a little upset with myself. I feel like I have no chances whatsoever at this point to even be considered for medical school. My stats are pathetic: 2.9 GPA, haven't taken the MCAT and I'm not sure my science professors got to know me enough to write me a favorable letter of recommendation. I feel like such a loser! Any suggestions? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Masters? Post Bacc program? Maybe take some more upper division Bio classes and get A's in them and get to know those professors well. It will bring up your GPA and give you more options for letters.

Hey, welcome to the boards.

Two questions:

Hows your grade trend?
What year are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your imput! I'm leaning towards taking some upper division classes as JennJ suggested because I'm not crazy about having to deal once again with financial aid and acquiring more debt by enrolling in a Master's program. Although it probably won't matter later on. To answer Blike's questions. I graduated college last year with a Premed/Psychology major (which was listed as Bio & Psych) and a Spanish/BioPsychology minor. I am currently working as a Case Manager at a Transitional shelter for people with problems with substance abuse. I am planning to take the MCAT in April.

I'm leaning towards taking some upper division classes

Sounds like a good plan. Do well in the upper division courses and show the adcoms you can do it! :clap:

Good luck!!

I have a somewhat similar case. My stats are really mediocre. 3.12 science, 3.26 overall, 25 MCAT. However, I took a two year break from school, got some experience as a paramedic, and then returned, getting all "A's". All I can say is, do well on the MCAT, maybe take some more classes to get your GPA up over 3.0 if possible; it will help you make the first cut at alot of places. It is all in the upward trend my friend! Don't loose hope.

a 2.9 gpa is fine for osteopathic (and some allopathic, howard, meharry,morehouse)..Just hit a 20 or above onthe MCAT, and you should be ok for osteopathic schools

I don't know if the last post is very accurate. A 2.9 MIGHT get you a chance, but a 20? You really want at least a 3.0 and a min. 24 on the MCAT. I'm pretty close to the same boat as gonnabedoc so I have really look into it.

Sorry, look into the Post-bacc like me.

Don't apply to osteopathic schools as an alternative to allopathy only. You have to show that you are dedicated to the profession in order to be considered. Especially considering your GPA. I know a lot of people with much better GPAs that weren't even considered because they were pretty transparent about osteopathy being a second choice. Learn about osteopathic medicine and shadow an osteopathic physician. Know your stuff or else it will show.

Also, make sure you get a stellar letter of rec from your boss.

Good luck,

Russell

:) Thank you all for your responses, it is very encouraging. I'm just going to have to work extra hard to accomplish my dreams. Also, I'm not looking into ostepathic schools as a second choice. I have spent the last two years learning about Osteopathic medicine and quiet frankly I would much rather go to an Osteopathic school (especially to learn about OMM). But then there are people who comment that nobody will want to be seen by a DO, that they will think I'm a chiropractor. So it is a bit disapponting that the Osteopathic community doesn't do more to bring exposure to the field. The only reason I heard of Osteopathic medicine is because I went to a school in Missouri, and I guess Kirkville is where it all started. Anyway, thanks for the input, it is of much help!

:clap:

The only reason I heard of Osteopathic medicine is because I went to a school in Missouri, and I guess Kirkville is where it all started.

Did you go to school anywhere near kirksville?

Don't give up and don't judge your chances on being accepted soley on your scores. I was accepted at UHS with a 3.3 gpa and a 21 MCAT. I was fearling that I wouldn' tget in anywhere, soley based on my MCAT, but the good thing aobut DO schools is that they look at your overall app, not just scores. I had a lot of extracurriculars and a lot of healtcare experience.

I think that with your background, that you would have a good shot at least being granted an interview. Plus DO schools tend to have bigger classes, as far as number of students go ( I have 230 in my class and the second years have 250).

So keep your goals high and your chin up!!

Chris

Originally posted by rpames
I don't know if the last post is very accurate. A 2.9 MIGHT get you a chance, but a 20? You really want at least a 3.0 and a min. 24 on the MCAT. I'm pretty close to the same boat as gonnabedoc so I have really look into it.

Sorry, look into the Post-bacc like me.

I know several sub-20 DO students..and sub-20 people recruited by howard, meharry, and morehouse. If you want to be a doc, then go all out..apply to lower range allo, and most osteo..don't let a "philosophy" block your dream..

Members don't see this ad :)
Blitzkrieg:

Are you sure? I am from NJ and UMDNJ DO school admissions said my 23 Q was low (inspite of my MPH and postbaac and work experience!). I applied to Howard and they are yet to contact me.
Maybe your stats apply to URMs b/c I know of people with 20 and 21 getting into UMDNJSOM and they are URMs. I am Asian.

NJDESI

one black person I know was being recruited by morehouse wiht a sub20,and a couple of white friends gotinto DO schools with 19s....err, this spacebar is broken

Just hit a 20 or above onthe MCAT, and you should be ok for osteopathic schools

Which osteopathic schools are you referring to ????????? If you are trying to infer that osteopathic schools are soooooo easy to get in, and not competitive, NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND, I know you are wrong .

If you can tell me one osteopathic school that is ok with a 20 MCAT and a below 3.0 GPA, I can tell you 18 osteopathic schools that are not ok with it.:rolleyes:

rofl, go for it, get off your high horse..

my two w hite friends were both admitted to two separate DO schools, the two which I am told are ranked among the top DO schools. DO schools have lesser numbers for admissions, and I'm not denigrating them for that..it's just a fact, and their perogative. However, if you have a problem with it, perhaps you should examine yourself and the DO profession, which takes a more holistic approach towards applications.

oh, and I also talked about some allopathic schools, so you're argument that I'm saying bad things about osteo schools just doesn't hold water

Blitzkrieg:

I still have ALOT of issues with your statement that all one needs is a 20 MCAT and about a 3.0 GPA to be admitted. I have a 23 Q,
3.88 MPH GPA, 3.36 Undergrad, and 3.1 Science. My file has been complete at 11 of the DO schools since July, and I sure havent seen those interviews invites rolling into my mailbox! I still took the August 2002 MCAT in fear that my 23 was too low for the DO schools. TUCOM and AZCOM are the only invites so far for me ( and I am grateful for that!). But quite a few DO school admissions officers I talked to had issues with my MCAT score (the 6 in PS!) esp. UMDNJ, DMU, PCOM, UNE, KCOM to name a few. I dont want your post to be misleading to people! Even with what I have, I am in fear of not getting in this year.

NJDESI :eek:

well,I am sorry that you have nnot had better luck, but 2 interviews is good. The applicant pool varies each year, and different schools looks for different *non-number* related characteristics when looking @ applicants.

What exactly is a postbac program? Is it just taking courses past graduation?

Blike: to answer your question, I went to school in Springfield. It is about 5 hours from Kirksville.

Originally posted by gonnabedoc
What exactly is a postbac program? Is it just taking courses past graduation?

Blike: to answer your question, I went to school in Springfield. It is about 5 hours from Kirksville.

Post Baccalaureate. It is technically anything taken past earning your Bachelors degree. You can enter some schools that will say they have a post bacc program, but they really leave the structure of classes up to you. Those are usually just upper division, undergrad courses. Others, however, are structured programs with a set curriculum of classes they have set up to help you to become more competitive in your applications. Some of these structured programs offer Masters degrees upon completion of the program, so if you decide not to go to med school, you at least have something to show for your time and a chance at other jobs that require Masters level education. Some schools that offer the Masters are Midwestern, Georgetown, and I think MCP Hanneman..... PM me if you have any more questions and I will be happy to answer!

Oh, and I guess LECOM has one too..... just saw it on the forum page.... ;)

I think you make a good comedian.

"my two w hite friends were both admitted to two separate DO schools, "
Are their GPA below 3.0 and MCAT about 20????? Do your two white friends have any special connections to the DO school? Since they are not URM and if they can get in to two DO schools with this kind of stat, I want to tell you I have an ocean front house in Oklahoma for sale cheap.

"the two which I am told are ranked among the top DO schools. "
TOP DO schools? Which one? I think they are all tops. However, if you are talking about ranked schools, the one I am aware of are MSUCOM, OSUCOM, and WVCOM that are ranked by US World & News. Among these three schools, people have better chance to win a lottery than to get accepted with a GPA below 3.0 and MCAT about 20. My friend, please get real.

"DO schools have lesser numbers for admissions, and I'm not denigrating them for that..it's just a fact, and their perogative. However, if you have a problem with it, perhaps you should examine yourself and the DO profession, which takes a more holistic approach towards applications."
I do not have any problem with that at all. I do not believe better stat would make you a better physician. But the bottom line is "I do not believe that GPA 3.0 and MCAT about 20 gets you in DO schools as you claimed" You may mean well to encourage other applicants not to give up, but the information is truly false. Nuff said

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
DO schools have lesser numbers for admissions, and I'm not denigrating them for that..it's just a fact

You can't just compare the raw numbers as there are fewer DO schools so it makes sense that there are fewer applicants. It would be more accurate to compare applicants per slots available.

GoForIt,

they are both non-urm's, with no special connections to the DO schools...I will NOT list the DO schools in order to protect their privacy.

I just wanted to give people hope pursuing the DO dream..even with poor stats, the hope should not be given up..other people have done it, so you can too!

Nothing wrong with giving a bit of hope..:rolleyes: