A brush with the law -- effects on acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
browniegirl86 said:
I don't think so. I read the application very carefully to make sure my MIP didn't fall under that category (obv didn't want to mess up my apps.) Mine was also removed completely from my record once I turned 21, which was a few months before I applied, so I really figured I was ok.

Yeah, i think youre right. I geuss im just being paranoid cuz the state im from requires fingerprint background checks to matriculate. I dont know what to expect cuz this is the first year theyre doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

bobbybouche said:
Yeah, i think youre right. I geuss im just being paranoid cuz the state im from requires fingerprint background checks to matriculate. I dont know what to expect cuz this is the first year theyre doing it.

Wow . . . if you don't mind me asking, what state is that?

You should be fine. The way I see it is if they didn't specifically ask about something on the application, they probably wouldn't care if it came up on your background check. In fact, they might not even be able to act on something like that legally if it wasn't initially disclosed to you that it was an issue.

Good luck!

browniegirl86 said:
Wow . . . if you don't mind me asking, what state is that?

You should be fine. The way I see it is if they didn't specifically ask about something on the application, they probably wouldn't care if it came up on your background check. In fact, they might not even be able to act on something like that legally if it wasn't initially disclosed to you that it was an issue.

Good luck!

illinois. I hope the schools are as reasonable as you. I worry that they wont be.

Members don't see this ad :)
bobbybouche said:
illinois. I hope the schools are as reasonable as you. I worry that they wont be.

I still vote for don't ask, don't tell.

I wish you all the best. I know absolutely nothing about Illinois, so I guess my advice stops here.

stupid internet connection. sorry about the multiple post.

No hard feelings, lexy10. I'll know lots more about my situation after tomorrow, which is my court date. No matter what, I'll still be off the marijuana for awhile while I apply for CNA jobs in New York City, which ALL drug test. I didn't want to give the impression I'm a fiend, thought I'll gladly admit I enjoy it.

Seems to me other crimes would be of much more concern to AdComs, such as fraud, assault, or theft, since these would raise some serious questions about my character and possible willingness to do my school, fellow students, or future patients wrong. If it does come up in the interview, at the very least I can argue that I was screwing over no one with my illegal action.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

No hard feelings, lexy10. I'll know lots more about my situation after tomorrow, which is my court date. No matter what, I'll still be off the marijuana for awhile while I apply for CNA jobs in New York City, which ALL drug test. I didn't want to give the impression I'm a fiend, thought I'll gladly admit I enjoy it.

Seems to me other crimes would be of much more concern to AdComs, such as fraud, assault, or theft, since these would raise some serious questions about my character and possible willingness to do my school, fellow students, or future patients wrong. If it does come up in the interview, at the very least I can argue that I was screwing over no one with my illegal action.

Hahaha yeah for sure man, that's pretty burnt ;)

From the advisor's side of things, we were given a very lengthy discussion on background checks. The fact is that most medical schools are under pressure to do those types of checks upon matriculants because there are laws on the books that require similar checks on people working in hospitals or health centers. There are many people who don't like the fact that sometimes a criminal background check may be more a reflection of the justice system in certain parts of the country than others (if we were going to talk about certain misdemeanors and felonies).

But answer the questions about this issue honestly. In many cases you will have to affirm multiple times that you have a clean record (as defined by the question anyway). Do not withhold information; there have been a small number of anecdotal instances where an acceptance was withdrawn because the new student was not forthcoming. It's about whether you truly accept the consequences of your actions and are contrite... or if you were wronged, you can discuss that honestly and (at least as much as you could technically) legally.

From the advisor's side of things, we were given a very lengthy discussion on background checks. The fact is that most medical schools are under pressure to do those types of checks upon matriculants because there are laws on the books that require similar checks on people working in hospitals or health centers. There are many people who don't like the fact that sometimes a criminal background check may be more a reflection of the justice system in certain parts of the country than others (if we were going to talk about certain misdemeanors and felonies).

But answer the questions about this issue honestly. In many cases you will have to affirm multiple times that you have a clean record (as defined by the question anyway). Do not withhold information; there have been a small number of anecdotal instances where an acceptance was withdrawn because the new student was not forthcoming. It's about whether you truly accept the consequences of your actions and are contrite... or if you were wronged, you can discuss that honestly and (at least as much as you could technically) legally.

zimmie256 said:
You should also be aware that a large number of secondary applications ask questions about criminal background in a more general way that would require you to report this incident.

For example Yale asks:
"Have you been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you been convicted of a criminal offense? Are there disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please specify the details."

This is not a question specific to Yale, just posted as an example.

Sooo, be open, be honest and make sure they KNOW, not think or have an inkling, that you are very sorry and know you screwed up.

I had a conviction, my guess would be similar to yours ;) , and I start school in one week.

Good luck this cycle! :thumbup:

I am in similiar situation. I recently was arrested for public intox for walking home from a concert. I will receive a deferred sentence which will be expunged after 6 month probation. The real problem is that I go to U of Oklahoma and we have a new alcohol policy after a stupid frat guy died after thinking he could drink several bottles of liquor. I am now facing institutional action in the form of a strike in our new three strike policy. A "censure" will be placed in my file but will be removed on graduation. I am already taking a year off due to low MCAT score (28N) so I am not sure what to do either. By the time I apply (May 2007) my sentence will be deferred and the censure will be removed from my file. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think if you are going to post detailed information about your criminal past on the internet for the whole world to see (like saying you frequently drove stoned-it's nice to see honesty but it's not really a good idea to post detailed stuff like that on the internet if you are serious about applying), the most important thing to remember is not to provide any links or info that could ID you, since you may have flagged yourself by starting this thread.

WanderingDave said:
I was just arrested for the very first time ever, for a misdemeanor. The state I was arrested in has a special program for first time offenders for this particular crime, whereby if a year's probation goes by with no slip-ups of any kind, there is no trial, plea, or conviction. That is to say, anyone who does a background check on me would see the case listed as 'dismissed'.

After the probation period, I can apply to have the charge itself expunged from all public records too. This is commonly granted (again, assuming no further brushes with the law).

I am just finishing up my application essay now, and was planning on submitting all my primaries (for matriculation in '07) next week. My LORs, work experience, and MCAT are great (32Q), while my GPA is not awful, but definitely pushing the limits of what they like to see (3.2 overall, 3.2 science, 3.3 major). Next week is also my first court appearance.

Given my situation, is it even worth it to invest the money and energy applying to this round of med school apps? Will the lack of a CONVICTION, despite an ARREST AND CHARGE, fly with the adcoms? Or would I be wise to wait until I've been granted a full expungement (gone w/o a trace!) before applying next round? I am fairly certain I'm capable of being a good little boy scout and will be granted both, in due time.

Another option I was considering was shortening my list of 15 schools to something like 5~7 for this round, and then if I'm not accepted, applying to my whole original list after the expungement next year. This way I could actually afford my court fees. :laugh:

WanderingDave:

I'm a Non-Trad with some life experiences that have made me a better person. The down side is that these 'teaching experiences' involved breaking the law. Going through the C.J. system has made me a better person as a result however. When I take care of pts today who are in custody in the ED I treat the person and not the criminal.

Getting my license to practice Respiratory Care was hell. I had to get court documents mailed to the Dept of Public Health, it was a real nail bitting situation.

Bottom line - if you have done it, even if the conviction is expunged, a record still exist somewhere. DO NOT take a chance and think adcoms won't look. It is very easy to belong to a very good background check company who can find those "sealed" and "expunged" records. If the adcom has your SSN that's all it takes.

Finally, just as SDN say not to use this forum for medical diagnosis, do not use it for quasi legal advice either.

Consult a local licensed Attorney who specializes in Criminal Law. Once the bridge is burned by lying, it can NEVER be rebuilt.

Good Luck fellow convicted applicants.

{To error is human, to forgive is devine.}

RRT2MD said:
Finally, just as SDN say not to use this forum for medical diagnosis, do not use it for quasi legal advice either.
Amen!

Ironmanf14, this account has no links to anything containing my full name, picture, or any other specific information linking it to me. Nor do I plan on making reference to this webpage in any step of any application. It would take a good bit of detective work and a concerted effort on the part of someone to use this board to ruin me, far more than I would *hope* the AdComs would care to do.

RRT2MD, I am going to be hiring an attorney for the expungement process when the year is over. I might as well consult with him before my first interview is offered to me, so he can coach me on exactly how to word my response if asked about any and all illegal activities in my past.

I'm a licensed CNA. I just applied to a job yesterday, and was very forthcoming about my situation. I simply said to the HR person, "When you do my background check, this is what you're likely to find ... but I can assure you that part of my life is over, there is no conviction, and I am clean, as my drug tests will surely show."

She appreciated my candor very much, encouraged me to keep it up like you folks have done, and assured me many employers wouldn't sweat it so long as I tested clean.