A competitive year for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djalimd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was this year relatively more competitive than last year for IM?? I mean I thought (and was told) I was a strong candidate.. Good board, pubs, buncha honors, (though not in IM.. could that be my only downfall??) I got so few interviews at competitive places, I was shocked. The only difference I could see between me and others who did better was simply the lack of IM honors.. Is that such a HUGE factor??? (And is subinternship not important at all??)

Well all is said and done now.. but any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

honors in IM is probably the single most important factor. but at the top places, virtually everyone has honors in IM so you really need something else to stand out, be it research, junior AOA, 260s on step1, whatever. it never hurts to be coming from a top 10 med school either. lastly it is just a random process, and different programs are going to be looking for different things.

to put things differently, i don't think you would be getting too many more interviews even if you had honored IM. i think that IM at the top programs is more competitive than many believed.

djalimd said:
Was this year relatively more competitive than last year for IM?? I mean I thought (and was told) I was a strong candidate.. Good board, pubs, buncha honors, (though not in IM.. could that be my only downfall??) I got so few interviews at competitive places, I was shocked. The only difference I could see between me and others who did better was simply the lack of IM honors.. Is that such a HUGE factor??? (And is subinternship not important at all??)

Well all is said and done now.. but any thoughts?