Quantcast

A consequence of the "no kill" policy + large population of stray animals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofficat

AU CVM c/o 11
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good thread title. Very much true. There are not enough people in this world for all the dogs and cats that are out there. However, I did think tying Obama into the article was kind of stupid. Do they really think that having Obama adopt a pet from Chile is going to solve that problem at that specific shelter? We have plenty of our own shelters that need help. (there goes america again... fixing other countries problems before our own ;) )

turnandburn

DVM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How sad :(

I have to admit though it looked remarkably clean for as many animals were crammed into that place.

Moonpaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(there goes america again... fixing other countries problems before our own ;) )

In all fairness, it wasn't an American that said Obama should adopt a dog from that shelter.

Meggie1985

Ohio State Univ CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's good information on hoarding like this at Tufts' animal hoarding website: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/rescue.htm

Would this really be considered hoarding though?
Definition of hoarding, according to Tuft's:
More than the typical number of companion aniamls
Inability to provide even minimal standards of nutrition, sanitation, shelter, and veterinary care, with this neglect often resulting in starvation, illness, and death
Denial of the inability to provide this minimum care and the impact of that failure on the animals, the household, and human occupants of the dwelling

These animals seem to be in remarkably good condition (considering the small space), so point 2 isn't really fulfilled, and the caregiver recognizes the need for more space, so there's no denial.
I'm certainly not defending the situation, but I don't know that this is really "hoarding" either...

But yeah. Wow. :wow:

Moonpaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOLz at this comment:

"Secret Muslim Obama regrets ever promising his girl's a dog. Muslims hate dogs and are not aloud to touch them. The whole process of them putting off getting a dog makes this very obvious of their hate for dogs. They mentioned this just to tug at American's hearts to vote for him. Guarantee the dog they finally get will be quarantined far from the residence area of the white house and the girls will rarely be able to interact with it. All a sham but we will see plenty of photo ops. 2012 cant get here soon enough."

InfiniVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOLz at this comment:

"Secret Muslim Obama regrets ever promising his girl's a dog. Muslims hate dogs and are not aloud to touch them. The whole process of them putting off getting a dog makes this very obvious of their hate for dogs. They mentioned this just to tug at American's hearts to vote for him. Guarantee the dog they finally get will be quarantined far from the residence area of the white house and the girls will rarely be able to interact with it. All a sham but we will see plenty of photo ops. 2012 cant get here soon enough."

???

*looks at left field*
Where did that come from?

Moonpaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
???

*looks at left field*
Where did that come from?

It was one of the comments that people made on the article. I know it's kind of random, but I thought it was hilarious.