Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

A couple of question from an 08/09 applicant..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 10, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. What exactly is the difference between the primary and secondary application? i.e. what are the different things they ask for?

2. Are secondary applications done through AMCAS or through the specific university?

3. I know the 09 app hasn't been released yet but is there somewhere I can see a 2008 application?

2. realjara

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First, read this. When all else fails, read the manual (The Not So Short Introduction to Getting Into Medical School) Hope this link works.

1) Primary is AMCAS app online. Once you submit and transcripts have been rec'd and verified by AMCAS, the schools you have selected may or may not send you their secondary app.
    2) Secondary apps are done through the specific school and vary widely by institution. Usually you are asked for additional short essays from topics the school has selected.
    3) I don't know about viewing an 08 app. But, be prepared for data entry. You must follow AMCAS rules when entering all college coursework (use their codes, etc.) You have to enter bio info, work history, ECs, etc. If I remember correctly, I think I cut and pasted my personal statement.

Also, your school most likely has pre-med materials you may find helpful.

3. shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Somewhere on SDN there was a secondary essay promt thread for 1008 apps. If you are looking into starting your apps (which is suggested by your post) you could find that and look at the essays of the schools you are interested in. I would not be surprised if most/all the essays are the same from year to year.