A couple of questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lafakad

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) So I haven't taken Bio 1 and 2. Is it possible to learn these subjects in their condensed versions in review books and still do somewhat well on the MCAT? I plan on taking 10 credits next semester and just studying for the MCAT heavily.

2) My AMCAS GPA is a 3.66. However, I got a couple questions about my BCPM GPA. Would Math Classes such as "Engineering Calculus 1, 2, and 3" all count towards the BCPM GPA? They are thought by the math department, but I'm still unsure since it's title.

3) My major is Chemical Engineering and I have the 3rd highest GPA in my class. However its a 3.66 which is below average for medical schools. Would I receive any possible boosts?

4) I took Organic 1 and 2 at a CC, how much would this factor into admissions? (I know I messed up, hindsight is 20/20)

5) I don't have very good EC's or volunteering hours. Do these factor strongly?

6) For LOR, would Chemical Engineering Professors count as "Science" professors?

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

How can you not take bio 1 and 2? They're prereqs not only for medical school, but for upper level classes that might help you on the MCAT.

How can you not take bio 1 and 2? They're prereqs not only for medical school, but for upper level classes that might help you on the MCAT.

I didn't need it for Chemical Engineering. I recently considered med school so I know that I am behind in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would highly suggest that you take all preqs from med school, well atleast the ones that will be of focus on the MCAT, before taking the MCAT. you dont want to take it and get a low score knowing you could have made a better score by taking those courses. Also, like you said you dont have strong EC's so you will def need a strong MCAT score to make yourself more competitive. Also, you may want to consider doing more EC's especially shadowing so they dont question you about knowing what you are getting yourself into.

Anymore opinions?

Am I stupid for considering this?

4) I took Organic 1 and 2 at a CC, how much would this factor into admissions? (I know I messed up, hindsight is 20/20)

5) I don't have very good EC's or volunteering hours. Do these factor strongly?

4 - It won't factor. I did that, got A's in both, and did well on the BS portion of the MCAT (which is bio + orgo). I haven't been asked "why didn't you take this after transferring" yet at any interview. One interviewer wanted to clarify why i went to CC in general, but nothing about my courses.

5 - Very. Get on the volunteering and such ASAP. Think of it this way, if your MCAT and/or GPA are average to begin with, and then your EC's aren't terribly strong, you'll have a harder time getting in for sure.