A couple questions about financial aid

Started by Ukraine
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ukraine

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 27 years old so I'm supposed to have an independent status. I didn't work at all last year. Do I need to report my parent's income? If my parents list me as a dependent on their tax return would that effect the amount of loans I recieve?
 
I'm 27 years old so I'm supposed to have an independent status. I didn't work at all last year. Do I need to report my parent's income? If my parents list me as a dependent on their tax return would that effect the amount of loans I recieve?

Are you going to medical school next year? If not, then no you don't have to list parental info. Though if you are going to medical school you don't actually have to list parental info as it only helps you get need-based aid and isn't required. Being a dependent for taxes has no bearing on FAFSA dependency. However, if you are 27, your parents can't list you as a dependent anyway on taxes and couldn't since you turned 24. For the FAFSA, you have been independent since you turned 23.
 
Thanks. I'm going to PT school. But since it's a private school the cost is above 100,000.