A couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallTownGuy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a third year medical student interested in internal medicine. I would like to specialize in cards or if I don't get into that, specialize as a hospitalist. I have a couple questions:

1. What electives would you recommend taking that would help someone in a future career as a hospitalist?

2. I was discussing fellowships with a fourth year student today that also wants to do cards. He said that his first ranked program was at a institute that did not offer fellowships. He said that if you want to do a competitive fellowship, it was best to do your residency at a place like this, because the lack of fellows would allow you to do more and you would be more experienced and competitive for spots. This seems counterintuitive to me, I assumed that programs took their own. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your fourth year electives in medical school are probably not going to effect getting into a CARDS fellowship. Focus on getting into a residency program that sends people to CARDS fellowships. Don't worry you don't have to go to the MGH or Hopkins to get a good fellowship -- although it sure helps :smuggrin: Every residency program you apply to will make the data on where their graduates go to after residency.

What to take? I recommend at least one ICU rotation, which makes a good sub-i. I did SICU with trauma call -- cause it's fun, MICU, and CCU rotations this last year. Nephrology consult service would provide meat and potatoes IM stuff. ID rotations are always popular, but you often round in the morning and the evening. But don't forget to branch out and do something that is just interesting. Do an EM rotation try derm for kicks. This is the last chance you have to explore and learn for kicks on your own agenda becasue once you start residency you are a part of someone elses agenda. Good luck.

Thank you for the quick reply. I get to take three electives in my third year. I currently have radiology, cardiology, and an away rotation in internal medicine scheduled. After hearing your advice, I will probably keep those and do an MICU rotation for my required medicine course.

Keep the replies coming everyone!