A couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedNoob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I hope this question isn't too obvious, but I was wondering what is the policy on retaking classes. My school says that it only allows replacing 3 grades (3classes), I am just wondering if this is really the max or will dental schools still look at classes retaken for better grades even though my college doesn't replace them?

My second question may be a bit controversial lol. I am just curious to hear how much non-science majors actually enjoy the science in the pre reqs for dental school or is it just the actual career that drives them to get through them?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay guys, I hope this question isn't too obvious, but I was wondering what is the policy on retaking classes. My school says that it only allows replacing 3 grades (3classes), I am just wondering if this is really the max or will dental schools still look at classes retaken for better grades even though my college doesn't replace them?

My second question may be a bit controversial lol. I am just curious to hear how much non-science majors actually enjoy the science in the pre reqs for dental school or is it just the actual career that drives them to get through them?

When you report your grades to dental schools, they will calculate ALL classes taken into your GPA. This means if you take a class and fail it, then retake it and get an A, your school may only calculate your GPA from the higher grade, but dental schools will use both. It is advised to retake any class that you get below a C in, unless you didn't learn the material well enough to get a good grade in the next class in the series. I don't know that there is a limit to the number of retakes, but it doesn't look good, and all the lower grades count anyway, so it's best to do well the first time.

Sorry I can't help with the second question, I was a science major.

I wasn't a science major and initially didn't like my science classes... but that may have been because I wasn't doing well in them. Much of this changed when I took O chem, I enjoyed that class and it really got me motivated to do well in the rest of my science classes. When I got in to upper division classes like cell bio and genetics, I felt like those classes were much more interesting and thus my whole perspective on science classes changed. In the long run, you better start liking science... because you're going to take A LOT of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a spanish major, but I still loved almost every one of the pre-requisite courses. It was all really interesting. Physics was my least favorite of all pre-reqs, but it wasn't too bad.

Hey, I appreciate the responses. I agree with you srb711, thats pretty much how I am feeling so far.