A different kind of post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saloo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated back in 07 with a 3.01 gpa, oat score of TS: 350 and I worked as an optometric technician for 4.5 years. For the past 1.5 years though, I worked in the recruiting industry.I was admitted at ICO in 08 but declined the offer due to financial reasons. My issue is even though the financial reasons still persist, I still want to pursue my dream of becoming an optometrist. So my question is, will taking some classes at the junior college (anatomy, pharmacology etc) and re-taking my OAT's be enough to be competitive? I don't see a point of "shadowing" an optometrist when I have the work experience. I am open to suggestions :) Thanks in advance guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated back in 07 with a 3.01 gpa, oat score of TS: 350 and I worked as an optometric technician for 4.5 years. For the past 1.5 years though, I worked in the recruiting industry.I was admitted at ICO in 08 but declined the offer due to financial reasons. My issue is even though the financial reasons still persist, I still want to pursue my dream of becoming an optometrist. So my question is, will taking some classes at the junior college (anatomy, pharmacology etc) and re-taking my OAT's be enough to be competitive? I don't see a point of "shadowing" an optometrist when I have the work experience. I am open to suggestions :) Thanks in advance guys :)

As you've been aceepted to I.C.O., previously, I suggest you contact their office of admissions to explain your situation and seek advice.

I think that your ideas for taking some classes at the community college and re-taking the OAT will definitely make you a competitive applicant. You have excellent work experience and I am assuming that you can get a letter of rec from the optometrist that you worked for. Even though your OAT is really good, you will have to re-take since scores expire after 2 years. Hopefully you will do just as well! If you can bump up your GPA with the extra classes I think that you will be just fine. My advice would be to apply early in the application cycle- sometime in the summer or very early fall. Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't get it.

If the issue is financial reasons, why would you want to spend money retaking classes at a community college? What is that going to accomplish?

Why not try to save up some money and/or get a better paying job and/or work two jobs?

@ KHE: I called ICO and they want me to take grad level classes. Since I can't do that w/o enrolling in a Master's program, I figured that this maybe a good way of showing that I am still compatible for grad school. I can work 2 jobs but do u think the Adcom will be satisfied with my academic stats from 08? I really am open to suggestions :)

I was in the same place. My GPA was a little low and also my OAT score, but I had a lot of experience in the field. I had to take some pre-reqs, which increased my GPA a little. I also retook the OAT because it was over 2 years since I had last taken it. I got into most of the schools I had applied to.

You do have to be careful at taking classes at community colleges because some schools don't count them. I would call the individual schools you want to apply to figure out what classes you need and where is the best place to take them.

Honestly, I financially will be taking out loans the entire 4 years and I chose a school where I could be a regional student, which lowered the cost a little. You do have to figure you will come out making more money and most students will be taking out loans to pay for it. It seems like you should be able to pay off your loans 10 years out of school. Or you may consider going into the military, which I think they pay for your schooling and you have to give 2-3 years of service after you graduate.

I hope this helps. Any questions I will be willing to answer them.

@ KHE: I called ICO and they want me to take grad level classes. Since I can't do that w/o enrolling in a Master's program, I figured that this maybe a good way of showing that I am still compatible for grad school. I can work 2 jobs but do u think the Adcom will be satisfied with my academic stats from 08? I really am open to suggestions :)

Well again, if the adcom wants you to take grad level classes, then why would you consider taking entry level classes like anatomy at a junior college? I'm very confused. :confused:

You might want to set up a face to face meeting, or at least an appointed phone consultation with the schools you're interested in attending and spell out your situation and ask what they think you should do and if they'll accept your stats from a couple of years ago. It is only 2 years ago, not 10 so I would imagine that the OAT would be fine.

As far as the GPA goes, what they might suggest is something like enrolling in grad school or taking say, a semesters worth of grad level classes just to show you can handle the workload.

So clarify with them. It sounds like you never really got a clear answer.

NOVA has a pre-optometry prep course for students have been out of school for many years. Its half of the first year classes and a few extra classes to get you brushed up before you start the real deal. If you make an A in any of those classes, you dont have to repeat them. If you maintain a GPA over 3.0 that first year you are given admission into the next years entering class automaticaly. You have to apply to NOVA through Optomcas for this and be selected for this program. Call Fran at NOVA and see what she can do for you.

good luck!

The grad level programs that I have looked into in the Chicagoland area require you to enroll in the Masters program. So if i want to take grad level classes, I have to be enrolled in a thesis/non-thesis program and I don't see a point of that because I am not looking to get my masters in say microbio.

And you are abs right, ICO admissions gave me a really generic answer that they normally give to re-applicants. Apparantly, I still have to submit a recommendation letter from an optometrist (they have 3 of those from me) and letter from a professor (submitted 2). I am thinking of contacting the professor that interviewed me and ask him for guidance? Is that a good idea?

Well again, if the adcom wants you to take grad level classes, then why would you consider taking entry level classes like anatomy at a junior college? I'm very confused. :confused:

You might want to set up a face to face meeting, or at least an appointed phone consultation with the schools you're interested in attending and spell out your situation and ask what they think you should do and if they'll accept your stats from a couple of years ago. It is only 2 years ago, not 10 so I would imagine that the OAT would be fine.

As far as the GPA goes, what they might suggest is something like enrolling in grad school or taking say, a semesters worth of grad level classes just to show you can handle the workload.

So clarify with them. It sounds like you never really got a clear answer.