A different major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Btab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I don't know if this is where to post this, but if I wanted to major in Biological Arthropology, can I still be an optometrist? Thanks.
(Yes, I'm aware that this question sounds stupid)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is where to post this, but if I wanted to major in Biological Arthropology, can I still be an optometrist? Thanks.
(Yes, I'm aware that this question sounds stupid)

:laugh: you sound like a kid from junior high.

you can major in anyhthing, provided that you complete the pre-requisite courses.

Oh I know, but does it affect anything? At all?
(Now I feel really stupid lol)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the best major to take that's not a Biological Science Major that can still give me useful knowledge for optometry?

I don't think it effects anything.

A graduate or a student in optometry school could better answer your other question. However, I'd recommend taking the easiest major possible, like math or something.

But, I guess a biology degree would help you in optometry school, since some courses that you would take in undergrad, such as Anatomy/Physiology, come up again in optometry school.

Oh I know, but does it affect anything? At all?
(Now I feel really stupid lol)

as far as I know, and have asked around (asking actual schools), NO... therefore, it does not work against you or in your favor (they don't think you stand out good/bad because you are the only one applying with a different major). They just care about your pre-reqs.

I don't think it effects anything.

A graduate or a student in optometry school could better answer your other question. However, I'd recommend taking the easiest major possible, like math or something.

But, I guess a biology degree would help you in optometry school, since some courses that you would take in undergrad, such as Anatomy/Physiology, come up again in optometry school.

that isn't always best because you have to think of it this way: you have to fulfill your major req and pre-reqs for school.

I am a bio major with a minor in chemistry- took up enough of my time. Good thing was that 80% of the pre-req needed were within my major requirements. If I were a math major, it probably would take me longer to grad if I wanted to fulfill my opt pre-req at the same time

as far as I know, and have asked around (asking actual schools), NO... therefore, it does not work against you or in your favor (they don't think you stand out good/bad because you are the only one applying with a different major). They just care about your pre-reqs.

that sucks, because science majors require more work.

that sucks, because science majors require more work.

i agree. I am a bio major with a minor in chemistry and was thinking of adding neurobio as my second minor or bio emphasis... but since they dont care--i decided not to add the neuro... also, i was recommended by the schools not to add the minor/emphasis and to just focus on getting good grades on my pre-reqs because they wont be looking at any of that

i agree. I am a bio major with a minor in chemistry and was thinking of adding neurobio as my second minor or bio emphasis... but since they dont care--i decided not to add the neuro... also, i was recommended by the schools not to add the minor/emphasis and to just focus on getting good grades on my pre-reqs because they wont be looking at any of that

WTF.

So then what's the point of taking an additional 90 credits of courses? Seriously...they actually belive we, the students, enjoy school!

You gotta be kidding me. I mean, I've seen profiles of entering classes of some schools, and one of the schools had a student with a masters degree.

WTF.

So then what's the point of taking an additional 90 credits of courses? Seriously...they actually belive we, the students, enjoy school!

You gotta be kidding me. I mean, I've seen profiles of entering classes of some schools, and one of the schools had a student with a masters degree.

well they do take into account that some people have more education than others, like a masters program or BS over BA, and what school you got your degrees from-- because it is based on how challenging your classes were. However, other classes out of pre-reqs they dont care too much about because they want to make sure that you are ready for the optometry program-- and taking California Wildlife (yes, my major requires a field course) doesn't really matter much (actually not at all)

You can major in whatever you want. Seriously, it doesn't matter.. we have people in my class that majored in languages and music and completely random things and they made it! You just have to take all of the pre-reqs. Major in something you really enjoy and college will be much more pleasant. If you like your classes, you'll make better grades.

I've asked around, myself, and it seems to make little to no difference what you major in as an undergraduate student. Why even "little"? It looks as if optometry schools might somewhat favor an applicant with a "non-traditional" (i.e., non-science) major, as it indicates the person is well-rounded: he or she must have taken the pre-reqs. to apply to opto. college, but has also experienced other things, which some other applicants might not have.

Harrold Varmus, the current co-chair of the Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and who was also the same for Bill Clinton, was an English grad student and graduated with a PhD in English. He then goes back to med school and only wins a Nobel.

You've got a lot of time and there are many second chances.