A dilemma? What if you're asked something like this at your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know too much about this issue but just thought about some guy telling me that he had a question similar in these lines.

Are we as dentists, pre dents, dental scientists, etc, supposed to be FOR finding and/or lowering dental decay and cavities?

Are we supposed to look for something that let's say decreases dental decay by 80% which would equal to people not going to dentists for that reason.

I am personally FOR public health rather than making money, but what if you're asked such question.

Let's say the question goes like this:

Would you be for a product that reduces 95% of all Dental Decay in human children and adults?

Would you go after and research a prouduct that reduces 95% of all dental decay in all human children and adults?

Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

If asked this question during an interview it would probably be best to say that you would definitely support such a product because after all as a dentist you are responsible for the dental health of your community.

Besides, getting people to use it would be a challenge since there are already such products on the market. They're called toothpaste, floss, and fluoride rinse.

Last edited:
Besides, getting people to use it would be a challenge since there is already such products on the market. They're called toothpaste, floss, and fluoride rinse.

Good point, I would say proper home cleaning reduces decay by 95% :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you go after and research a prouduct that reduces 95% of all dental decay in all human children and adults?

Would you purposely avoid researching a product that reduces dental decay because you were worried about your business? Of course not. The non-human children are on their own, however.

Oh god, if only that were true.

Every tube of toothpaste says to brush after every meal. You don't think that following these instructions, combined with flossing and rinsing would prevent 95% of decay vs not doing anything? The question is vs not doing anything because it's saying "what if there were something to reduce decay by 95% if you used it". Well there is. If you stopped brushing and flossing and rinsing I'd suspect you'd get 95% more decay than otherwise.

double post..

Last edited:
Would you purposely avoid researching a product that reduces dental decay because you were worried about your business? Of course not. The non-human children are on their own, however.

I was reading previous literature on decay. One was titled Decay in Human Adults and thats where that came from. Simply a mistake on the "children" part.

But thanks for the insult.
:thumbup:

Even if decay was reduced by 95%, bacteria grow pretty rapidly in the mouth, so the product would only temporarily reduce decay. Also, there is the possibly that if introduced into the mouth, the bacteria may become resistant to the drug, so it might effectively become less useful. I would definitely support this product, and this will in no possible way make dentists go out of business because lots of people have poor oral hygiene and/or do not know how to properly maintain their oral health.