A DO wanting an allopathic neuro spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI48104doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so from previous forums I am gathering Neuro isn't the most competative residency for U.S. MDs. I am a recent graduate of Osteopathic med school and a current intern who is applying for "PGY-2" spots for 2006. Most programs I have spoken to are pretty receptive to the idea of DOs in their program, but does anyone, particulary the DOs in the MD programs out there know what "extras" they look for in a DO applicant, and how they view DOs compared to FMGSs? My research experience in med school is pretty much non-existant but I went to Big Ten undergrad and had some there. Thanks, any help is appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

MI48104doc said:
Ok so from previous forums I am gathering Neuro isn't the most competative residency for U.S. MDs. I am a recent graduate of Osteopathic med school and a current intern who is applying for "PGY-2" spots for 2006. Most programs I have spoken to are pretty receptive to the idea of DOs in their program, but does anyone, particulary the DOs in the MD programs out there know what "extras" they look for in a DO applicant, and how they view DOs compared to FMGSs? My research experience in med school is pretty much non-existant but I went to Big Ten undergrad and had some there. Thanks, any help is appreciated! :D

DO's are favored over FMG's at most institutions. The key for DO's is to have competitive USMLE's, letters of rec from good people in the field, and research experience. There have been a number of DO neurology residents and fellows at Mayo over the years.