A fafsa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When filling out FAFSA and adding schools, some schools seem to have their school of medicine separate from the actual school, like Michigan. Others only come up with one school when I search (like WashU). Are others having similar experiences? Do some schools handle it all in a central system and others not?

-Entol

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you are correct- some schools do it centrally and others have a separate code for the med school. To be sure, I would check the financial aid portion of the med school website to see what they say. The ones I entered had their fafsa code listed.

Good luck :)

Treg

ahh thanks :) Also, can you add more than 6 schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what other people have done is to submit their top 6 schools, then wait a while and change them and resubmit. Apparently, each time you change them, they get resent, so the schools will get them at least once (if that makes sense).

Just hearsay though

Treg :)

you can add more than 6 schools...you can call in and have them added, or do it on-line.

a lot of schools/med schools have separate codes, while others only have 1 fafsa code for the entire school system. The privates, more often than public schools, tend to have separate codes for the med schools, while the publics tend to have 1 code. this isn't the rule though...ucla med has it's own, while davis and san diego don't. if you can't find a specific code, just post it on sdn and i'm sure somebody will post.

When should one start filing for FAFSA?

finish filling it out before march 1

finish before march1??? what if we get in after?

should i wait for the fin aid package or should i go ahead and fill it out now?

online it says...

Deadlines:
Submit 2003-2004 FAFSA on the Web Applications by midnight Central Daylight time, June 30, 2004.
Submit 2004-2005 FAFSA on the Web Applications by midnight Central Daylight time, June 30, 2005.

what does that mean?? kind of doesnt make sense to me?

The priority deadline for FAFSA is March 1st. I'm not sure what that entitles you to, though. You can send it in after that, but I certainly wouldn't wait until June. Try to get it in ASAP so the schools can send you their fin aid packages.