A few of my USMLE lectures...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently started doing USMLE lectures at my school here in Australia.

In no way do I plan on posting my Powerpoints here to SDN on a continual basis, as I recognize that's not the purpose of this forum, but I thought I'd just upload a few that I've done recently to see what people think.

As opposed to just listing mundane info like typical SoM lectures, I aim to specifically portray material the way it is tested through questions.

~Phloston

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• USMLE
    277.6 KB · Views: 5,213
  • USMLE
    234.4 KB · Views: 2,942
  • USMLE
    302.5 KB · Views: 2,962
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much Phloston for your amazing lectures.
I have a question though. In your gram + lecture you state that for VRE infections streptogramins (dalfopristine/ quinupristine) are used. Aren't these effective only against E.faecium and not E.faecalis? Wouldn't linezolid or daptomycin (as you state later yourself) be a better choice?

Thank you very much Phloston for your amazing lectures.
I have a question though. In your gram + lecture you state that for VRE infections streptogramins (dalfopristine/ quinupristine) are used. Aren't these effective only against E.faecium and not E.faecalis? Wouldn't linezolid or daptomycin (as you state later yourself) be a better choice?

In terms of the USMLE, linezolid and the streptogramins are both appropriate against VRE and vancomycin-resistant MRSA.

I've never heard of the E. faecium/faecalis distinction regarding the streptogramins, but Wikipedia confirms what you've said.

I'm glad you mention daptomycin. I had seen two questions on that in the past. The first one wanted you to know that Enterococci are notably sensitive to it. The second one wanted you to know that daptomycin increases membrane permeability and causes disruption of membrane potential; the explanation went on to say that it causes increased CPK and myopathy.

I had only seen linezolid in one question. It notably causes HOT: High risk of serotonin syndrome, Optic neuritis, Thrombocytopenia. The question specifically gave a vignette of serotonin syndrome and then asked which drug caused it: linezolid.

just want to make sure i'm not missing, out, Pholston you've only made 4 ppts gram -, gram +, virus, and antibx ppts right?

just want to make sure i'm not missing, out, Pholston you've only made 4 ppts gram -, gram +, virus, and antibx ppts right?
Extremely sorry if I am interrupting this thread, but I recently joined this forum and am unable to start a new thread! I have a few questions and will be really grateful if any of you could help me with this. I feel lost after looking at my scores and would appreciate some guidance.

I will be writing step1 in the third week of july and have just nbme 15 and 6 left. Didnt do great in the other nmbe's - 205 in nbme 7 , 212 n nbme 12 and 210 in nbme 13! :-( Extremely disappointed wIth the scores. I have been looking at a score of 235-240+ in the final exam.

I have been studying for the last 2 weeks and wanted to know if it makes sense to give nbme 6 now before giving the final nbme 15 whIch i wanted to give just before the final.

Is nbme 6 too old a test? Does it make sense to give It now , asin will it help me grade how well I have been studying ?

Pholston, I would be willing to pay for your full set of Step 1 powerpoints. These have been extremely useful for my MS2 classes and undoubtedly will be HY review for boards.

can someone inform me on which software they are using to access these files!?!? im desperate for help, i tried it through powerpoint but it wont open!!! help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pholston, sorry if i am disturbing u..but really wish u can give me advice..i had posted it before in your inbox, but i guess you might haven't noticed,..i will just throw this to your thread..

i don't think i'll be able to buy both kaplan qbank n usmle rx..but i have 1st aid Q A ,kaplan qbook, UWORLD Qbank n few NBMEs. Will it be fine if i just do questions from those sources?
please give me advice. i have exam within 4 months n have reviewed all KLN (Except path)..aiming for 250+....many thanks

i started the gram +ve ppt & i loved it, it's really helpful & nicely presented, & am sure the rest will be great too, excited to read them....many thanks to you for sharing such valuable work.:thumbup:

I can't seem to open them in PC. Can someone possibly share a plain old ppt or pdf version please?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your help @Pholston please continue to upload at your earliest convenience as they are helping my preparation greatly!

Old thread, but every time I ever look up a tough question, pholston usually has an awesome answer. Ive done all 3 banks/ all the NBMEs, FA numerous times, and these power points are so high yield its giving me a priaprism.

Reactions: 1 user
Save them. Change the extension to PPT. Open in Powerpoint.

I'm not given an option to save. Simply asked to pick a program to open them, and ppt isn't an option given. When tried adding ppt it still didn't work.

Can anyone send these via google drive or something?

I'm not given an option to save. Simply asked to pick a program to open them, and ppt isn't an option given. When tried adding ppt it still didn't work.

Can anyone send these via google drive or something?
If you click the icon, it saves automatically. Find the file, and then change the extension to ppt. Then open with powerpoint.

It's not even giving me an option to "Save As" and change the extension to ppt... help! I can't view any of them. :(

Please guys I have tried different browsers but can't download these lectures successfully. Can someone please email them to me. I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance and good luck with studying [email protected]

im trying to download these and it is NOT allowing me to open any of them!!! is there something wrong? I would truly appreciate it if someone can help not just me but also the others who were having difficulty downloading these amazing pearls of info from Pholston!
PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Thanks for uploading these homie...do you have anything anatomy related - lymph node drainage, high yield concepts, etc etc? :naughty::love:
hey i have been trying to download these with absolutely no luck. can you please help me? It keeps opening up as a windows online program and nothing wil show. HELP!! **truly would appreciate it if you could

hey i have been trying to download these with absolutely no luck. can you please help me? It keeps opening up as a windows online program and nothing wil show. HELP!! **truly would appreciate it if you could
IIRC you have to rename them: add .docx to each filename.

Hey Phloston.
I'm going to have microbiology and immunology and from what I can read you loved microbiology. I'm currently investing in microcards (since I read that you loved those) and with regard to immunology I am not so sure what to buy. Do you have any ideas?

On another note are you considering uploading more slides?

Thanks!

I've recently started doing USMLE lectures at my school here in Australia.

In no way do I plan on posting my Powerpoints here to SDN on a continual basis, as I recognize that's not the purpose of this forum, but I thought I'd just upload a few that I've done recently to see what people think.

As opposed to just listing mundane info like typical SoM lectures, I aim to specifically portray material the way it is tested through questions.

~Phloston
Is it too late to ask for these files.. I recently joined the site and can't seem to download the files and they seem very helpful please let me know if I could get them as well.. Thank u!!!

Is it too late to ask for these files.. I recently joined the site and can't seem to download the files and they seem very helpful please let me know if I could get them as well.. Thank u!!!

Hey there Bud! Welcome to SDN. My advice would be to download the files on the first page. And then after you download them, edit the file and add a ppt extension to the file name (.ppt) and you should be good to go. If that doesn't work, PM and we'll figure something out.

Best of luck