a few Pm&r questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please tell me what are the top PM&R university programs (with better chances of getting into fellowships like pain or pediatric) that are located in the midwest

michigan

chicago

mainly and in NYC?

and also how does PM&R residency compare to medicine residency? re: hours and call?

Members don't see this ad.

icebreakers said:
could someone please tell me what are the top PM&R university programs (with better chances of getting into fellowships like pain or pediatric) that are located in the midwest

michigan

chicago

mainly and in NYC?

and also how does PM&R residency compare to medicine residency? re: hours and call?

My opinion: (take it with a grain of salt and remember my biases...)
Michigan: UMich
Chicago: RIC
NYC: Kessler (in NJ)

PM&R residency does not even compare to medicine residency. During my medicine intern year (and senior residents also have similar schedules) - I was q4 overnight, working at least 14hrs a day, bordering on 80hrs a week (some rotations were up to 110/wk - though that got corrected) and had an average of 1 day off per week. My PM&R PGY2 (equivalent to being an intern in PM&R), I am about q14, work one weekend every month and a half or so, and average about 10-12 hrs/day. And this is at a relatively harder PM&R residency. There are cushier programs that take home call, get paid to work weekends, etc.

icebreakers said:

michigan

chicago

mainly and in NYC?

If you are interested in pediatric rehab, the last time I checked, there were only 2 accredited pediatric rehab fellowship programs in the country with two slots each, so you would need to go to either the Virginia (Dr Neufeld) or Colorado programs(Dr Matthews) if you are interested in a 2 year pediatric rehab fellowship after rehab residency. I think there may be another fellowship program in the midwest. However, I highly recommend doing a combined pediatric and rehab residency (followed by 1 year of fellowship instead of 2) if you are interested in pediatric rehab since pediatric departments are much more supportive of pediatric rehab than rehab departments are, since they are primary care doctors and accountable to their pediatric patients and understand the complexity of caring for children with special needs. Few rehab departments invest in pediatric rehab (since it is not as lucrative as inpatient or interventional pain mx), and few pediatricians know what a physiatrist is, even though there is a dire need to provide neuromusculoskeletal care (eg bracing, gait analysis, botox injections during growth spurts to avert surgery before a gait pattern is established)to the growing number of children who survive prematurity as well as sports injuries in able bodied children. Currently this neuromusculoskeletal primary care is provided mostly by a handful of pediatric orthopedic surgeons as well as some pediatric neurologists and family physicians.

I would agree with Axm's list of RIC/UMich/Kessler for Chicago/Mich/NYC-ish

To differentiate calls, in-house v. at-home, stand-alone v. attached to hospital also plays a difference in quality of calls. And I don't need to tell you about frequency :laugh:

Our calls are roughly equivalent to Axm's (I have more this year, but my schedule is frontloaded with inpatient months) but we're home-call. Have been called in twice thus far :thumbup:

Finally, pain is getting very competitive. Talking with some of the PGY 4s who applied, even bad programs were getting 60 applicants per spot. And some of these applicants were attendings. Nice