A few Q's FAFSA, Interview FinAid info and Non Trad Parent info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVABranch

one of 6000
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know that I can complete my FAFSA now but I haven't been accepted yet for this incoming class. Should I fill it out anyway? I'm not flling my taxes until April so is it bad to wait until then (scholarships, med school processing the info, general aid), or complete it without my taxes?

To all the Non Trads with experience in this (other health professiosn and med students where parental info is requested), since my parent's haven't helped me with schoool since UG, do I have to include their info? What are the disadvantages to including and not including?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most schools will want your parent's info to consider you for any type of scholarships/grants. I'm married, in mid-30's and they still want to see it.

You can do a FASFA and put in estimated income if taxes aren't done. It wouldn't hurt any to do it before acceptance. Obviously, the schools won't really look at it unless you get in.

*MOD NOTE: This question is more appropriate for the Financial Aid Forum, though I left a permanent re-direct link in the Non-Trad forum, so anyone who wants to contribute to it, can still post easily.*

As a general rule, schools like you to complete the FAFSA for them even if you're waitlisted or still under consideration, so I would go ahead and do it. It's good to get it out of the way anyway.

As for the parents, yes, most medical schools do want you to include that information. There is no penalty for including it because parental information isn't considered for federal aid anyway, so you can enter in the FAFSA, but they FAFSA doesn't use it for their calculations. There are a few schools out there that exempt nontrads from this, but it's not the norm.