A few questions about the advice for incoming MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bono

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to clear up a few things that confused me while i was reading one of threads about the advice given to medical students. Some of these questions may be arcane but i just want to make sure i got everything straight.

First, what is a shelf exam (is it the same thing as step 1??)

Second, what are the "BRS books." Are they really useful to study with during your first and second years or do people just use them when reviewing for step one.

Third, is it useful to have a USMLE review book during your first and second years of school. Is it used to summarize things one has learned in lecture or does it serve another purpose? I also wanted people's opinons on which books for the USMLE are good and if it is neccessary to get more than one review book.

Finally, what is so good or so bad about PBL? I heard that it helps in clincial part of your training, is that true? Does it help with step 1 or 2?

I know its a lot and i appreciate anyone that replys

-Bono :D

Members don't see this ad.

"Shelf exams" are examinations provided to medical schools by the "national board" at the school's request as "an external measure of achievement" (this quote is from the intro thingy they have to read every time you take one of these exams). Most medical schools seem to use shelf exams as a form of evaluation of students' performance in a given clinical clerkship.

"BRS books" are a series of books used both by students studying for basic science exams and by students studying for board exams (of course, personal preference weighs in quite a bit here...I hate the format of these books). The acronym stands for "Board Review Series." You'll find them in any medical bookstore.

I'll leave the other questions to someone better equipped to answer, as I have had little experience with PBL...my feeling is that hands-on, clerkship work is superior, which is why I came to Duke where I could do my rotations 2nd year instead of 3rd year.

Shelf exam: retired single-subject board exam. So if you're taking the physio shelf, you're taking old physiology questions from Step I. They're a good measure of what Step I will be like, but remember that they're retired questions for a reason.

BRS books: Board Review Series individual subject books. They're excellent for studying along with your required/recommended texts, because they provide another angle on the material and can help you tie together loose ends from lectures and assigned reading.

USMLE review books: I use them to study for every single class. Again, it's just a way of reinforcing material by looking at it from a different angle, getting more practice problems, comprehending different explanations of the material, etc. Highly recommended.

PBL: Will vary from school to school, so only someone from your school will be able to address the quality.

:)