MD MS1 looking for advice on choosing a summer research program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one?

• Option 1: well known institution

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Option 2: home institution

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

md444

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m a current MS1! Still haven’t decided on a specialty but currently interested in peds, psych, FM, and IM. I’m really struggling with choosing a summer research experience. Would appreciate any advice!

Option 1:
-Super well-known prestigious institution (which is basically why I’m struggling to let the opportunity go)
-pediatrics clinical or basic science research
-matched with a mentor and join their ongoing project for the summer
-6 weeks, full 9-5 monday through Friday schedule
-no stipend

Option 2:
-At my lesser known home institution
-7 weeks but a more lenient schedule (and I’d be the team leader so I’d be in charge of the schedule)
-guaranteed first author on one abstract & poster at the very least
-opportunities for authorship on other projects as well
-research is kind of in the field of psych and nephrology
-lenient schedule allows me to apply to a second summer research program at my home institution that is virtual and provides a stipend
-involvement in the research extends beyond this summer

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Flexibility + potential for stipend + guaranteed authorship should you publish, + opportunity for continuation beyond summer sounds like the move to me, unless the other school is your dream school and you're trying to get your foot in the door there...then that may be worth considering. But even then, I'd still choose option #2.

Would Iike a big of clarification on project #2 though. Would you still be under the supervision of a faculty member, but just with more control over your hours?

Reactions: 1 user
Option 1 is not paid AND no guarantee for poster or abstract?

That's a very hard sell. I would argue for research productivity > connections right now, especially since peds isn't super competitive and you're not dead set on it right now, anyway.

Interested on which route you chose as I might be in the same boat soon : )