A few questions from an aspiring IMG

Started by yuldin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yuldin

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have spent the past 4 months or so slowly gathering information regarding registration, what exams to take, etc, but in the end, I still have some questions regarding the application process of the Foundation Programme and would also like to hear about the FY1/FY2 experience.

A little background: I am a doctor from Taiwan, graduated in 2020 after 6 years of medical school. After graduation, I am currently working (and plan to complete) my 2 years of General Medicine PGY training (similar to FY1-FY2?). Unfortunately, as of right now, my two years do not qualify for the GMC's definition of an acceptable internship lasting 18-24 months, and so my main goal is to apply for the full FY programme. I figure this way I can also get used to how the NHS works. There is a small possibility that my internship WILL qualify and therefore I can look to apply to a standalone FY2/WASP job, but that's on the backburner.

My questions:

Application Process:

  1. I understand that health education is managed by region. Is this a definitive list of these regions? Is there a list of hospitals each deanery/foundation school covers?
  2. Is the allocation a matching process? If so, do you match into the deanery or do you match into a hospital?
  3. Are you able to choose which specialties to rotate through during the Foundation Programme? How long is each rotation? Could a kind soul care to share their schedule during the 2 years of FY?
Job Description:

  1. What is an FY1 expected to do? I know this is a really general question, but I would like to hear the day to day tasks of an FY1. For example in Taiwan, we are expected to:
    • Write all the notes (Admission, Progress, Discharge)
    • Formulate and execute treatment plans (bloodwork, imaging, refer for colonoscopy/endoscopy, prescriptions of IV fluids/antibiotics/etc.)
    • Do procedures (ABG, Foley, NG, CVCs, double lumens)
    • In surgical specialties, scrub in and act as 1st/2nd assistant
  2. What is the rota like for a typical two week period for say, internal medicine? For example in Taiwan, a typical schedule would look like below. We would on average have 6 25 hour shifts per month.
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    Off7:30-57:30-57:30 - 8:30 (25 hr)Off7:30-5Off
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    7:30-8:30 (25 hr)Off7:30-57:30-57:30-57:30 - 8:30 (25 hr)Off
  3. How is each medical team constructed? Here, we usually have 1 consultant and 1 junior doctor (registrar OR PGY1/PGY2). Of course, a PGY may sometimes be with up to 4 consultants, depending on patient number. The largest teams would at most have 1 consultant, 1 registrar, 1-2 PGYs, and 1-2 NP/PAs.
  4. How many beds is a FY1 expected to care for daily?
Other:

  1. What are the advantages of having a trust grade job? It seems you have the same exact responsibilitis and work description of say, an FY2 without getting the "training credits" to apply for specialist training.
I apologize for the many questions. I mainly wanted someone to talk to and to hear a junior doctor's day to day experience.