USMLE A few questions regarding my Step 1 study approach

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

LordSurgeonSnow

2+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello!
I'm a 4th-year IMG, and I plan on taking the USMLE Step 1 in about a year, give or take 3 months. I was preparing my plan (UFAPS + AMBOSS and BnB), and found myself with a few questions:
  1. Where do I start? Do I use first aid as a syllabus and go over block by block (i.e. I'd start with biochem, then immunology, and so on), or is there a better way to approach this?
  2. Regarding my Anki (I'm using Anking v8): should I unlock my cards by tag after doing certain parts (videos and chapters), or should I unlock the whole subdeck (for example biochem if that's what I'm doing) and just do them regardless of my video/reading progress?
  3. Should I do Anki cards in random order or in order added?
  4. Regarding resources, do I need to buy sketchy/BnB/pathoma? I have their videos from about 5-6 years ago, and I don't know how outdated these are.
Thank you and have a nice day!
P.S.: Any other comments or questions are most welcome

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.