USMLE A few questions regarding my Step 1 study approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LordSurgeonSnow

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
I'm a 4th-year IMG, and I plan on taking the USMLE Step 1 in about a year, give or take 3 months. I was preparing my plan (UFAPS + AMBOSS and BnB), and found myself with a few questions:
  1. Where do I start? Do I use first aid as a syllabus and go over block by block (i.e. I'd start with biochem, then immunology, and so on), or is there a better way to approach this?
  2. Regarding my Anki (I'm using Anking v8): should I unlock my cards by tag after doing certain parts (videos and chapters), or should I unlock the whole subdeck (for example biochem if that's what I'm doing) and just do them regardless of my video/reading progress?
  3. Should I do Anki cards in random order or in order added?
  4. Regarding resources, do I need to buy sketchy/BnB/pathoma? I have their videos from about 5-6 years ago, and I don't know how outdated these are.
Thank you and have a nice day!
P.S.: Any other comments or questions are most welcome