A few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy CSS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a freshman this year at a coummunity college. I plan on doing the 3 year plan before applying to pharmacy school. A few questions:

If I have a 3.5 gpa and good pcat scores, will I have a good chance of getting into pharmacy school even though I'm at a community college?

And also, does it help my chances if my grandfather graduated from the pharmacy school I am applying to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you probably would have a good chance. I don't think schools take into consideration if you had a family member who went to the school. But I could be wrong.

Hey everyone, I'm a freshman this year at a coummunity college. I plan on doing the 3 year plan before applying to pharmacy school. A few questions:

If I have a 3.5 gpa and good pcat scores, will I have a good chance of getting into pharmacy school even though I'm at a community college?

And also, does it help my chances if my grandfather graduated from the pharmacy school I am applying to?

Thanks!

If you do a search, there are a few topics where people talk about taking classes at CCs vs. University. I don't think it matters but yet again I have never taken a single class at a CC. About the family member - without trying to sound mean - I honestly hope that it's irrelevant. Not only that would be extremely unfair to the rest of us but I also fail to see how having a family member in the same profession makes you a good candidate for pharmacy school - it's more about what YOU are capable of. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are better than average so the analysis boils down to adcoms' take on community colleges.

I remember my school asking about family members who graduated and/or are faculty members at my school of application, but I don't know how much bearing it had.

Is this your 1st year. If you have a good gpa and good pcat then why take three years when you can complete the prereqs in 2 yrs. By the time you do three years and look forward to the next four years of pharm school you'll be excited but will want it to be over. I'm in the same boat. Did three yrs. at university and then applied. Depending on the money situation, I wish I had done only two years and applied.