A few things about neurons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know that the cell bodies of motor neurons are located in the CNS, specifically in the gray matter of the spinal cord. Also the cell bodies of the sensory neurons are located in the dorsal root ganglion. Now, the dorsal root ganglion are located in the spine, right?

So, using the EK mnemonic SAME DAVE-sensory is afferent, motor is efferent. Dorsal is afferent, and ventral is efferent-can it be said that the sensory neuron cell bodies are located in the dorsal root ganglion, and the cell bodies of motor neurons are located in the ventral root ganglion? Just want to make sure. These things trip me up sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I know that the cell bodies of motor neurons are located in the CNS, specifically in the gray matter of the spinal cord. Also the cell bodies of the sensory neurons are located in the dorsal root ganglion. Now, the dorsal root ganglion are located in the spine, right?

So, using the EK mnemonic SAME DAVE-sensory is afferent, motor is efferent. Dorsal is afferent, and ventral is efferent-can it be said that the sensory neuron cell bodies are located in the dorsal root ganglion, and the cell bodies of motor neurons are located in the ventral root ganglion? Just want to make sure. These things trip me up sometimes.

The two bolded statements are mutually exclusive. A ganglion is a bundle of nerve fiber cell bodies OUTSIDE of the spinal cord/CNS.

There is no ventral root ganglion. You are correct with your first statement, motor neurons originate/cell bodies are located in the ventral horn of the spinal cord.

SAME DAVE is an awesome mnemonic btw. I used that one for my A&P courses and all my neurosciences. I actually still use it. :D

The two bolded statements are mutually exclusive. A ganglion is a bundle of nerve fiber cell bodies OUTSIDE of the spinal cord/CNS.

There is no ventral root ganglion. You are correct with your first statement, motor neurons originate/cell bodies are located in the ventral horn of the spinal cord.

SAME DAVE is an awesome mnemonic btw. I used that one for my A&P courses and all my neurosciences. I actually still use it. :D

Haha, so I made up the ventral root ganglion. Thanks!