believe40
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I’m planning to retake the MCAT on September 4th and would really appreciate help creating a structured study plan because I honestly feel pretty overwhelmed and unsure how to move forward.
I took the MCAT this past January and scored a 503 (126 / 121 / 128 / 128). My biggest weakness was clearly CARS (121), while my other sections were much stronger.
What’s been really frustrating is that my practice exam scores were consistently higher:
509, 507, 506, 507, 513, 513, 514, 511.
Because of that, I feel like I significantly underperformed on test day. I do want to take accountability, but I also think some external factors played a role. About 3–4 weeks before my exam, I had severe back pain to the point where I was taking medication daily and constantly using heating pads/Biofreeze. Even during the test, I was visibly uncomfortable. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I do think it affected my focus and anxiety.
Now I’m trying to reset and do this the right way, but I feel really lost on what the best approach for a retake is.
I’m currently still in school and will be graduating in mid-June, so I want to start studying now, but I also know I’ll be studying full-time after June.
I don’t want to waste time, but I also don’t want to burn out or study inefficiently.
Now → June (while in school):
Daily CARS practice (Jack Westin, ~3 passages/day, starting untimed → then timed)
UWorld heavily + proper review
Honestly, part of this is just that I feel really overwhelmed getting back into MCAT studying again after a disappointing score. It’s been hard to get back into that mindset, and I don’t want to make the same mistakes again.
I would really appreciate if someone could help me build a clear, structured plan for now → June and June → September, especially from people who improved on a retake.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this — I really appreciate any guidance. 🙏
I’m planning to retake the MCAT on September 4th and would really appreciate help creating a structured study plan because I honestly feel pretty overwhelmed and unsure how to move forward.
I took the MCAT this past January and scored a 503 (126 / 121 / 128 / 128). My biggest weakness was clearly CARS (121), while my other sections were much stronger.
What’s been really frustrating is that my practice exam scores were consistently higher:
509, 507, 506, 507, 513, 513, 514, 511.
Because of that, I feel like I significantly underperformed on test day. I do want to take accountability, but I also think some external factors played a role. About 3–4 weeks before my exam, I had severe back pain to the point where I was taking medication daily and constantly using heating pads/Biofreeze. Even during the test, I was visibly uncomfortable. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I do think it affected my focus and anxiety.
Now I’m trying to reset and do this the right way, but I feel really lost on what the best approach for a retake is.
- Kaplan books for content review
- Khan Academy P/S document
- UWorld (did a lot but didn’t finish, especially P/S)
- All AAMC full-length exams
I’m currently still in school and will be graduating in mid-June, so I want to start studying now, but I also know I’ll be studying full-time after June.
I don’t want to waste time, but I also don’t want to burn out or study inefficiently.
Now → June (while in school):
Daily CARS practice (Jack Westin, ~3 passages/day, starting untimed → then timed)
- Anki (reset Jack Sparrow + Pankow decks)
- Light content review (videos or quick refreshers instead of rereading everything)
UWorld heavily + proper review
- Weekly full-length exams
- Switch to AAMC materials closer to test date
- Should I redo content review fully, or is it better to focus mostly on practice since my FLs were already 510+?
- How do I actually fix CARS? I’ve tried strategies and watched videos, but nothing has consistently worked.
- Should I start UWorld now in small amounts, or save it for dedicated studying?
- Are there third-party full lengths that are worth using for a retake?
- Is my current plan even reasonable, or am I approaching this the wrong way?
Honestly, part of this is just that I feel really overwhelmed getting back into MCAT studying again after a disappointing score. It’s been hard to get back into that mindset, and I don’t want to make the same mistakes again.
I would really appreciate if someone could help me build a clear, structured plan for now → June and June → September, especially from people who improved on a retake.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this — I really appreciate any guidance. 🙏