A Few Tips - Getting in with Sub 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperC

SuperC DMD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several people have PMed me for advice…. Here is a little bit

All you guys have to remember that there is a lot more going on than grades. I cannot say this enough, but no one seems to listen.

Yes, it is difficult to get into UF, but I made it.

Dental schools want people that are much more than book worms.
You have to sell yourself to dental schools. Personal statements, LORs, and involvement all make a HUGE impact on your application.

Before I spell this out... Please note I don't have any connections at UF (I have been asked)

GPA AADSAS
Overall: 2.96 (Actual at UF 3.30)
BCP: 3.32
DAT 19/20/19 (only attempt)
Accepted at UF 12/01

How? Sure my grades were bad and that was my selling point. I turned my life around... I went C's, and F's to A's in one semester. I addressed this in my personal statement. Which is unique to say the least. I have ONE paragraph that really discusses "why" I want to be a dentist. Most of it discusses my journey to become a dentist and what I have learned along the way, rather than why I want to be one.

When I made my commitment to go to dental school, I made it completely.
There is only one rule to live by (in every aspect of life) GO BIG OR GO HOME.

If you join a club to be a "member" you are wasting your time. You have to be some type of leader. I have been, SG Senator and President, President/Founder of the Chemistry Club, Wrote for the School news paper, and board member of pre-ASDA among many others.

LORs
I choose my profs very carefully, those who knew me very well. Just because you get an A in a class does not mean that you will get a good LOR. Know your profs, laugh with them! Most of them are pretty cool.

Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research, Research
Need I say more?

Have fun!!!!!!
Go to parties, the bar, whatever you are into. I have had a BLAST in college. Believe it or not, out mingling at a party will do more for your people skills than a speech class. You learn how to talk to people, adjust your thinking to speak with someone that is not pre-dent or with different political views. There is SO much more to life than being a dentist. (PS ADCOMS know that too)

BE HONEST DURING YOUR INTERVIEW.
What is your biggest weakness.....? If you say "I am a perfectionist" You are a liar. Mine procrastination.... And yes I was asked about that. Make yourself unique.... When asked why you want to be a dentist, don't rattle off the same "I like science and working with my hands". Tell a story. When did you realize that you like science, when did you realize that you like working with your hands. Make it interesting! Spice things up make it funny!

Take art classes.

The people you study with should be smarter than you.

Wear something different to your interview (This probably doesn't matter)
I was walking to the lab on Friday and I saw 10 or so kids on their interview. Every guy had a black or navy suit on. I wore a blazer and khakis, switch it up!

If anyone needs more help, please let me know.....
-C

Members don't see this ad.

SuperC said:
Need I say more?

-C

The 1st and 2nd Research I understood clearly, can you please clarify the 3rd and 5th one, I wasnt too sure what you meant by those... lol... Congrats dude... Your posts were always good for some laughs.. Best of luck to you...

Kremlar said:
The 1st and 2nd Research I understood clearly, can you please clarify the 3rd and 5th one, I wasnt too sure what you meant by those... lol... Congrats dude... Your posts were always good for some laughs.. Best of luck to you...

Research. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SuperC said:
Research. :laugh:

OHHHHHHHHHHH...... Ok, I got it... thanks for the clarification...

this guy must be the first down to earth guy I have yet to hear from this forum ..

good advice , I hope to match your skills and raise you by 1 level lol

SuperC, i promote you to SuperB... i mean you are superb! a genuine man!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure this will help a lot of people on this forum. I really appreciate your post.

Late Night said:
this guy must be the first down to earth guy I have yet to hear from this forum ..

Or the biggest bull ****ter ever. Either way all your BS got you into dental school. Hats off to you my friend.

SuperC said:
Several people have PMed me for advice…. Here is a little bit

All you guys have to remember that there is a lot more going on than grades. I cannot say this enough, but no one seems to listen.

Yes, it is difficult to get into UF, but I made it.

Dental schools want people that are much more than book worms.
You have to sell yourself to dental schools. Personal statements, LORs, and involvement all make a HUGE impact on your application.

Before I spell this out... Please note I don't have any connections at UF (I have been asked)

GPA AADSAS
Overall: 2.96 (Actual at UF 3.30)
BCP: 3.32
DAT 19/20/19 (only attempt)
Accepted at UF 12/01

How? Sure my grades were bad and that was my selling point. I turned my life around... I went C's, and F's to A's in one semester. I addressed this in my personal statement. Which is unique to say the least. I have ONE paragraph that really discusses "why" I want to be a dentist. Most of it discusses my journey to become a dentist and what I have learned along the way, rather than why I want to be one.

When I made my commitment to go to dental school, I made it completely.
There is only one rule to live by (in every aspect of life) GO BIG OR GO HOME.

If you join a club to be a "member" you are wasting your time. You have to be some type of leader. I have been, SG Senator and President, President/Founder of the Chemistry Club, Wrote for the School news paper, and board member of pre-ASDA among many others.

LORs
I choose my profs very carefully, those who knew me very well. Just because you get an A in a class does not mean that you will get a good LOR. Know your profs, laugh with them! Most of them are pretty cool.

Need I say more?

Have fun!!!!!!
Go to parties, the bar, whatever you are into. I have had a BLAST in college. Believe it or not, out mingling at a party will do more for your people skills than a speech class. You learn how to talk to people, adjust your thinking to speak with someone that is not pre-dent or with different political views. There is SO much more to life than being a dentist. (PS ADCOMS know that too)

BE HONEST DURING YOUR INTERVIEW.
What is your biggest weakness.....? If you say "I am a perfectionist" You are a liar. Mine procrastination.... And yes I was asked about that. Make yourself unique.... When asked why you want to be a dentist, don't rattle off the same "I like science and working with my hands". Tell a story. When did you realize that you like science, when did you realize that you like working with your hands. Make it interesting! Spice things up make it funny!

Take art classes.

The people you study with should be smarter than you.

Wear something different to your interview (This probably doesn't matter)
I was walking to the lab on Friday and I saw 10 or so kids on their interview. Every guy had a black or navy suit on. I wore a blazer and khakis, switch it up!

-C
How do u get involved in reseach if your not currently in school>?
sorry - i have no clue

I agree with Super C. My overall GPA: 3.01, science: 2.90, DAT 22/22/19, and I received an acceptance to Creighton. SDN is a great website with a lot of helpful information. Having said that, a lot of emphasis is placed on GPA w/out regard to major, school attended, extracuricular activities, etc. There is a lot more to the application than the GPA, DAT scores. Don't misunderstand me, I think GPA and DAT scores are extremely important, but there are many other things that can help your application. Of course, if you have a low GPA, or low DAT scores it helps if the other is above average and you should have other outstanding portions of your application to set you apart.

It can be easy to get discouraged when reading posts on this site if your GPA or DAT scores are not up to snuff. As Super C said, you have to be motivated and dedicated to accomplishing your dream of becoming a dentist and work hard to make it happen, but it can definitely be done.

Great Job SuperC. It sounds like you and I were pretty much in the same boat. I agree with everything you said. My stats are 2.69 Cumulative GPA, 2.99 Science, 3.90 BCP, 21/21/19 (one try). I also have no ties to any school, or relative in the industry. I totally screwed around at UW-Madison for two-and-a-half years, got kicked out, came back and graduated, worked in the 'real world' for a year....it sucked.....went back and dedicated my entire life to getting into dental school. IT CAN BE DONE. Having terrible numbers when I began my journey forced me to be perfect in everything else; personal statement, LOR's, DAT, extracirrics, etc. I just want to add to your advice for people like us:
1. Don't ever be defensive about sub-par grades in your personal statement or interview. You have to turn blemishes into positive experiences.
2. There is always a way to improve your application!!! Do everyting possible.
3. Be memorable/different. Like SuperC, everyone at my interview had a black or navy suit, boring tie, with totally predictable questions, and probably answers, and were stiff. Just because you got through a cookie cutter answer without stumbling over your words doesn't mean you nailed the interview. I wore a brown suit and purple tie, laughed as much as possible, joked with fellow interviewees, current students, and even faculty, and tried to make it VERY apparent I was grateful for the opportunity to even be there. When the director of admissions took my picture I even made sure my sincere gratitude and excitement showed through by giving the cheesiest smile of my life!
In my interview I made sure my eyes lit up when we talked about my future career, sat on the edge of my chair and talked with my hands. I always was smiling, laughing, and even though I had rehearsed and thought about interviewing for two years, I gave off-the-cuff, honest answers. Also, IT IS A MUST that you send a thank you letter to the interviewer/s, director of admissions, and anyone else involved with your day. I know that most people do this, but some don't and that does not look good. I know for a fact some schools will not accept anyone who doesn't send a thank you.
Bottom line is you have to be different. Sell yourself and convey through actions, not just words, that you will be a success. If you are going to be a success as a doctor you have to be personable, likeable, and compassionate. The people reading your statements and interviewing you are doctors themselves, and they know this. If you don't convey this through the way you act in an interview you probably won't get in. I'm guessing this is why some people with numbers way better than mine aren't getting accepted. Doctors are dynamic people, so be dynamic on paper and in person.
Again, nice job SuperC and to everyone else who got accepted. To those who didn't, keep going. If you want it bad enough, it'll happen.

I had a GPA in the low 3's 'cause I bombed my Freshman year with W's and C's. In addition to what everyone else has already said, I decided to let my #1 school know they were my #1. Of course, it's difficult to know for sure until you interview, but I was lucky since the last of my 4 interviews before December 1 was at my top choice and the interview experience only solidified that fact. After my interview, I walked around the campus a bit and then came back after all the interviewers had left and asked to speak with the dean of admissions. He remember me from the interview and invited me into his office. I then sincerely told him that after careful consideration of the other schools I had interviewed at, his school was my number choice of schools. He thanked me for telling him that and said it helped them in their interview deicision and he'd let me know after December 1. Well, it worked (or at least helped) and I got acceped to their school as an out-of-stater on December 1.

sumozmom said:
How do u get involved in reseach if your not currently in school>?
sorry - i have no clue

Start emailing.

I found a few doctors at UFCD that were doing something that I thought I would be interested in and I emailed them every month for a semester, finally one took the bait.

Ronald Jeremy said:
1. Don't ever be defensive about sub-par grades in your personal statement or interview. You have to turn blemishes into positive experiences.

Ron, this is a great thought and because we are bouncing ideas here. I can give a good example of how to do this.

In my interview, I was asked, "Why did you get an F in class X?" (An art class)
I told the truth QUICKLY, school wasn't very important to me then, the prof had an attendance requirement, and I missed too many days and received an F. (NO MORE). I went on to say.... I retook the course and got a B, and I felt like I could have done better. I discussed a few projects in detail and how they turned out. We spent time talking more about my projects than my F.

The point here is you answer the question directly, honestly, and quickly. And move on to the positives about it. What did you learn from your mistake?

Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failures are two of the surest stepping stones to success.

-C

Late Night said:

Thanks Late night.... And PLEASE match me and raise the bar by 10! Friendly competion is the best way to get ahead!

You can do it!
-C