A funny story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxxy Cleopatra

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the transplant service (we do kidney, pancreas, and liver) and last week while on call one night, I got notified in the middle of the night that there was a donor who matched one of the patients on the floor. This patient actually was supposed to receive a partial living-related tx from his sister later in the week. So when I was called about this I went to do the pre-op workup (consent the patient, make sure the labs/EKG/CXR were ordered) I went into the patient's room to explain what was going on. He looked at me with an astonished look and said, "you mean I have a liver? That's great- now my sister won't have to go through an operation."

He tolerated the transplant very well and was transferred back to the floor from the unit this AM (I take care of the floor patients, the senior does the unit.) On rounds we all went into his room and he looked at me with the same astonished look and said, "it's you from the other night!"

His sister came out of the room and told me that he apparently had been telling the family that an angel came to him in the middle of the night and brought him a liver! They asked for a description and he described "a white girl with long brown hair" (this did not fit the description of any of the nurses so they thought he was making it up.)

At least they know the poor guy is not crazy! That's why I'm going by the moniker "Liver Fairy" this week!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

AS is threatened by your new nickname, that's all. See, his nickname is "Fairy" and your new name is just too similar for his liking.

Funny story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by edinOH
AS is threatened by your new nickname, that's all. See, his nickname is "Fairy" and your new name is just too similar for his liking.

Funny story.

Well put edinOH

And I'll second the funny story vote.

What's the harm in having a bit of an unfavorable personality on SDN? I'm just playing around when I act all condescending and holier than thou. I mean no ill will by it.

no harm, AS. i think you're funny. but i guess i'm the only one on SDN who gets your humor. i especially love it when you go back and forth w/that skippy dude...makes my day.

I thought the story was funny, LF.