a great MCAT, decent GPA, and a false start. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny pollen

sleeping soundly
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping some people might have good advice (even though most of us are in a similar boat): I've got a relatively strong application otherwise.

So, here's a half-cocked SWOT analysis. I'm doing it to help me identify all the issues in my own mind.

35Q MCAT (11V; 12PS; 12BS) taken 9/11/07
Non-sci GPA: 3.7
BCPM GPA: 3.51
Degrees:
BA, Sociology (excellent school)
MFA, Creative Writing (decent program; non-awesome school)
Post-bacc (excellent school)
Partway through an MS of Nursing (mediocre school)

Strengths:
  • I am great at extracurriculars. I have a pretty nice retinue of extracurricular activities. I was president of the Pre-Med Society for a year, and an officer the year prior. I've got all sorts of decent volunteer experience, both hands on and higher-level (health education v. IRB member).
  • I'm oldish. I'm 29. That's sometimes a strength in some schools' eyes, n'est-ce pas?
  • I'm a strong writer. This post aside, I've written others' (successful) personal statements, and can make a pretty convincing argument.

Weaknesses:
  • I have an unfinished masters degree in nursing.Thanks to a "long discussion" (those things are deadly, man) with my partner, I decided to go to nursing school rather than med school. Midway through my second quarter (of 7) of an MSN program, I realized that "lifestyle" was no trade off for life satisfaction. I am dropping out of a $100k program that would devour two years of my life. How can I best...explain this away?
  • I'm OLLLLLLD. Again, see above, but I know not all schools dig on non-traditionals.

Opportunities:
  • Newfound freetime. I now can take up to two class this spring to bolster my BCPM GPA in time to apply. I've taken the standard pre-med four-course curriculum (bio, physics, chem and orgo) but am wondering which science/math classes I should take in time for them to Biochem? Calculus? Anatomy? Random upper-level bio? Basket weaving?

Threats:
  • I'm losing my in-state status for Illinois. The quid pro quo I had to offer my partner was that we'd move to Portland ASAP (August) so he can be with friends and be in a city he loves. No rancor there: I'm going to be hella busy. The upside is that I'd be a resident of OR as of August 2010 (and my first choice is OHSU). But it begs the question: where else should I apply? We're open to anywhere with good weather and decent arts culture (my partner's an artist). I like the ocean and mountains, and (as you'd probably guess) to be hate-crimed as infrequently as possible b/c I'm gay married.

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate any advice you have for me. If you've got any questions, let me know!

Best,
J

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I won't claim this as good advice, but will offer it as what I've learned, from my own experience. I'm old, like you--in fact, older by a year. We've got similar stats. And I'll be reapplying next year, which leads to my advice.

First, when people tell you to apply as soon as possible, that means apply as soon as possible. Have your primary ready to submit on June 15, or whatever opening day is. Send back secondaries within a week of receiving them. Apply to 20+ schools (This still floors me. I applied to 5.)--I think this bit may be even more important for nontraditional students who are working without the pipeline benefit that can come from taking the traditional route. Get the MSAR and go shopping. Consider whether you want to go to school in a certain area (this is how I was thinking), or whether you want to go to medical school. I know, ouch. Read the "reapplicant" thread here.

Leaving nursing school is not a weakness: spin it as evidence of your realization that nothing less than becoming a doctor will do. And amplify all your life experience and extracurriculars (again, something I neglected to do.)

Do you have much clinical experience, working with a doctor? I think this hurt me more than the lack of upper-level science courses or lack of research, though I'll probably take biochem this summer.

Best of luck....

Which cycle are you applying? If 2009-10, they probably will not recognize you as an Oregon resident (in general you can claim residency after 12 months instate, not the 12 months prior to enrolling, but the 12 months prior to applying). So if you apply this June, you are still an IL resident...if you plan to move to Oregon this August, you still may not be considered instate Oregon when you apply in June, 2010...

You also need to check with OHSU (and other schools) on how old an MCAT they will accept...for many schools, you have 3 years to use an MCAT...for the 2010-11 cycle, yours may be too old...

ethyl: Thanks for the advice. I do have lots and lots of clinical experience, working with doctors, assessing patients, and even dispensing drugs. I've been a clinical research coordinator for four years now, and so that's something.

flip: That seems plausible -- I'll check out the registrar's site (as well as possibly call them) to see if there are ways around it. Thanks!