A Gunner's Desire for Top-Tier Schools

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlueDemForever

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize these threads make me seem a psycho? I also understand I am asking the same question over and over. However, I am asking it in different ways to see if I get different reponses. Because you all seem frustrated in me trying to play the game of med. school w/o even having a day of college experience. I promise not to post these kind of posts till summer 2016 when I have done things to talk about for the MD Class of 2021.
 
Last edited:
Hello, I'm sure some of you have familiarized yourself with an annoying gunner (aka me) who plans to do extremely well at his state school and get into and attend a top tier medical school. I may annoy you or I may just seem like a fool to be pitied. But please, don't pity this foo'. In high school, I've always focused on my numbers. I've always thought that there is a certain combination of objective statistics that will elicit admission into any academic institution. However, I've realized through the multiple rejections I've received from top colleges along with the generous scholarship I've received at Indiana University that numbers will never alone get you into top colleges, and can only get merit scholarships at state schools. As a kid of immigrants, I've always been taught that studying 24/7 is the right thing to do. While I have been instilled with a passion to learn, my interests are very wide. Through high school, I've become very interested in volunteering in any way possible, making a positive impact in as many people's lives as possible, researching in areas that interest me deeply and that I've developed a profound interest in, politics, basketball, table tennis, following sports, history, and learning about other cultures and religions. However, I've learned to hate other pursuits such as playing the piano, intense studying without any other activity, and having to be a student of random classes that I absolutely hate. So, I am sure I will be able to get very good grades in a tough academic curriculum with a unique double major (chemistry & economics), do very well on the MCAT (99th percentile), find a small set of EC's I'm truly passionate about and can gain leadership roles in, find a research role for a couple years and try to get a paper published, be able to volunteer not only in the local community around my college but also overseas in the country where my parents are from to help alleviate the extreme poverty and widespread infectious disease that was rampant when I went there about a decade ago. I also hope to have cool summer experiences in internships like Mayo and AMGEN while spending a few weeks volunteering overseas. I understand that rec's, essays, and a personal statement play a huge role in differentiating between applicants with similar objective stats. Therefore, I will try my best to build strong relationships with my professors and research supervisors so that I can get awesome recommendations and also have some amazing things to say when I write my essay and personal statement. What I'm worried about is just like high school, not getting in anywhere special after 4 years of college. Before someone goes off on a tangent along the lines off, be happy with any MD acceptance, I will say I will be but would really like to attend a top-tier med school. By that, I mean one of the top 10 research schools in the US. I'm interested in Harvard, JHU, Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and WashU. Those 6 are my dream med schools. What in addition to having an awesome GPA/MCAT, excellent grades in a chem/econ major (bio minor), solid research experience with a couple published papers, a multitude of volunteering experience at the local hospital, my local religious center, and overseas for a couple weeks each summer, a variety of EC's including some intramural sports and choir, spectacular recs and essays, and three summers of competitive internships can I do to gain admission into one or more of the six medical schools I mentioned above after four years at Indiana University. I understand a hook (URM, Division I athlete, or multiple first authorship papers) will get you in, but considering I'm and ORM, not an official athlete, and will try my best to research, what can I do to get in? I'd really prefer to go directly into med school after college, and would like to avoid avenues such as Teach for America, the Peace Corps, and the Army that are great but require 2-3 years after college. Are they my only shot?

See here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beat me to it. This is the 3rd or 4th version of the same thread from this guy/gal.

This is a similar variant.

OP seems to ignore BABStudent's advice in another of his similar threads:

No need to post it there. A lot of us check the hSDN page.

To the OP, quit being a gunner. Chances are you will not actually make it to applying to medical school if you do everything your originally listed. You will burn out and quit school. Many of the things you listed are impossible to do together and that is why applicants to medical schools will lack in certain areas. People with high GPA and MCAT score will have poor ECs. Someone with great ECs will have lower GPAs and MCAT scores.

To be competitive for the top schools, what you really need to focus on is going to a college that will let you do research. What you should be striving for is high grades, a great MCAT score and a first author publication.

As for medical schools, I personally believe the ranking system is flawed. Pretty much the top medical school receives the highest amount of NIH funding. The second best receives the second most. So to get into the top schools, they want to have researchers to use those funds to get published and then to get the school more money.

Finally, all medical schools will get you into residencies. The prestigious ones (and I am not talking derm or ortho, but specific ones like ortho at Harvard) will require a high STEP score, more publications and possibly an Ivy degree. However, you don't need that last one to get in. You need the high scores and research.
 
Hello, I'm sure some of you have familiarized yourself with an annoying gunner (aka me) who plans to do extremely well at his state school and get into and attend a top tier medical school. I may annoy you or I may just seem like a fool to be pitied. But please, don't pity this foo'. In high school, I've always focused on my numbers. I've always thought that there is a certain combination of objective statistics that will elicit admission into any academic institution. However, I've realized through the multiple rejections I've received from top colleges along with the generous scholarship I've received at Indiana University that numbers will never alone get you into top colleges, and can only get merit scholarships at state schools. As a kid of immigrants, I've always been taught that studying 24/7 is the right thing to do. While I have been instilled with a passion to learn, my interests are very wide. Through high school, I've become very interested in volunteering in any way possible, making a positive impact in as many people's lives as possible, researching in areas that interest me deeply and that I've developed a profound interest in, politics, basketball, table tennis, following sports, history, and learning about other cultures and religions. However, I've learned to hate other pursuits such as playing the piano, intense studying without any other activity, and having to be a student of random classes that I absolutely hate. So, I am sure I will be able to get very good grades in a tough academic curriculum with a unique double major (chemistry & economics), do very well on the MCAT (99th percentile), find a small set of EC's I'm truly passionate about and can gain leadership roles in, find a research role for a couple years and try to get a paper published, be able to volunteer not only in the local community around my college but also overseas in the country where my parents are from to help alleviate the extreme poverty and widespread infectious disease that was rampant when I went there about a decade ago. I also hope to have cool summer experiences in internships like Mayo and AMGEN while spending a few weeks volunteering overseas. I understand that rec's, essays, and a personal statement play a huge role in differentiating between applicants with similar objective stats. Therefore, I will try my best to build strong relationships with my professors and research supervisors so that I can get awesome recommendations and also have some amazing things to say when I write my essay and personal statement. What I'm worried about is just like high school, not getting in anywhere special after 4 years of college. Before someone goes off on a tangent along the lines off, be happy with any MD acceptance, I will say I will be but would really like to attend a top-tier med school. By that, I mean one of the top 10 research schools in the US. I'm interested in Harvard, JHU, Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and WashU. Those 6 are my dream med schools. What in addition to having an awesome GPA/MCAT, excellent grades in a chem/econ major (bio minor), solid research experience with a couple published papers, a multitude of volunteering experience at the local hospital, my local religious center, and overseas for a couple weeks each summer, a variety of EC's including some intramural sports and choir, spectacular recs and essays, and three summers of competitive internships can I do to gain admission into one or more of the six medical schools I mentioned above after four years at Indiana University. I understand a hook (URM, Division I athlete, or multiple first authorship papers) will get you in, but considering I'm and ORM, not an official athlete, and will try my best to research, what can I do to get in? I'd really prefer to go directly into med school after college, and would like to avoid avenues such as Teach for America, the Peace Corps, and the Army that are great but require 2-3 years after college. Are they my only shot?
Ace your classes, get 99 percentile MCAT, and do decent amount of volunteer and research. If you do all these, you will be in good shape to get into these schools.
 
What are you expecting to read that you haven't already in your other thread(s)?

Also, please type in paragraphs. That block of text is headache inducing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can tell from the layout of the post itself that you are a gunner. Gunners never use the "Enter" key to create new paragraphs.....
 
Hello, I'm sure some of you have familiarized yourself with an annoying gunner (aka me) who plans to do extremely well at his state school and get into and attend a top tier medical school. I may annoy you or I may just seem like a fool to be pitied. But please, don't pity this foo'. In high school, I've always focused on my numbers. I've always thought that there is a certain combination of objective statistics that will elicit admission into any academic institution. However, I've realized through the multiple rejections I've received from top colleges along with the generous scholarship I've received at Indiana University that numbers will never alone get you into top colleges, and can only get merit scholarships at state schools. As a kid of immigrants, I've always been taught that studying 24/7 is the right thing to do. While I have been instilled with a passion to learn, my interests are very wide. Through high school, I've become very interested in volunteering in any way possible, making a positive impact in as many people's lives as possible, researching in areas that interest me deeply and that I've developed a profound interest in, politics, basketball, table tennis, following sports, history, and learning about other cultures and religions. However, I've learned to hate other pursuits such as playing the piano, intense studying without any other activity, and having to be a student of random classes that I absolutely hate. So, I am sure I will be able to get very good grades in a tough academic curriculum with a unique double major (chemistry & economics), do very well on the MCAT (99th percentile), find a small set of EC's I'm truly passionate about and can gain leadership roles in, find a research role for a couple years and try to get a paper published, be able to volunteer not only in the local community around my college but also overseas in the country where my parents are from to help alleviate the extreme poverty and widespread infectious disease that was rampant when I went there about a decade ago. I also hope to have cool summer experiences in internships like Mayo and AMGEN while spending a few weeks volunteering overseas. I understand that rec's, essays, and a personal statement play a huge role in differentiating between applicants with similar objective stats. Therefore, I will try my best to build strong relationships with my professors and research supervisors so that I can get awesome recommendations and also have some amazing things to say when I write my essay and personal statement. What I'm worried about is just like high school, not getting in anywhere special after 4 years of college. Before someone goes off on a tangent along the lines off, be happy with any MD acceptance, I will say I will be but would really like to attend a top-tier med school. By that, I mean one of the top 10 research schools in the US. I'm interested in Harvard, JHU, Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and WashU. Those 6 are my dream med schools. What in addition to having an awesome GPA/MCAT, excellent grades in a chem/econ major (bio minor), solid research experience with a couple published papers, a multitude of volunteering experience at the local hospital, my local religious center, and overseas for a couple weeks each summer, a variety of EC's including some intramural sports and choir, spectacular recs and essays, and three summers of competitive internships can I do to gain admission into one or more of the six medical schools I mentioned above after four years at Indiana University. I understand a hook (URM, Division I athlete, or multiple first authorship papers) will get you in, but considering I'm and ORM, not an official athlete, and will try my best to research, what can I do to get in? I'd really prefer to go directly into med school after college, and would like to avoid avenues such as Teach for America, the Peace Corps, and the Army that are great but require 2-3 years after college. Are they my only shot?

loldog.jpg
 
This is made about 1000x funnier because I know you're trying to be serious. Though, I honestly feel sorry for you that at your age you are already stressing about going to JHU. Talk about wasted youth.
 
Hello, I'm sure some of you have familiarized yourself with an annoying gunner (aka me) who plans to do extremely well at his state school and get into and attend a top tier medical school. I may annoy you or I may just seem like a fool to be pitied. But please, don't pity this foo'. In high school, I've always focused on my numbers. I've always thought that there is a certain combination of objective statistics that will elicit admission into any academic institution. However, I've realized through the multiple rejections I've received from top colleges along with the generous scholarship I've received at Indiana University that numbers will never alone get you into top colleges, and can only get merit scholarships at state schools. As a kid of immigrants, I've always been taught that studying 24/7 is the right thing to do. While I have been instilled with a passion to learn, my interests are very wide. Through high school, I've become very interested in volunteering in any way possible, making a positive impact in as many people's lives as possible, researching in areas that interest me deeply and that I've developed a profound interest in, politics, basketball, table tennis, following sports, history, and learning about other cultures and religions. However, I've learned to hate other pursuits such as playing the piano, intense studying without any other activity, and having to be a student of random classes that I absolutely hate. So, I am sure I will be able to get very good grades in a tough academic curriculum with a unique double major (chemistry & economics), do very well on the MCAT (99th percentile), find a small set of EC's I'm truly passionate about and can gain leadership roles in, find a research role for a couple years and try to get a paper published, be able to volunteer not only in the local community around my college but also overseas in the country where my parents are from to help alleviate the extreme poverty and widespread infectious disease that was rampant when I went there about a decade ago. I also hope to have cool summer experiences in internships like Mayo and AMGEN while spending a few weeks volunteering overseas. I understand that rec's, essays, and a personal statement play a huge role in differentiating between applicants with similar objective stats. Therefore, I will try my best to build strong relationships with my professors and research supervisors so that I can get awesome recommendations and also have some amazing things to say when I write my essay and personal statement. What I'm worried about is just like high school, not getting in anywhere special after 4 years of college. Before someone goes off on a tangent along the lines off, be happy with any MD acceptance, I will say I will be but would really like to attend a top-tier med school. By that, I mean one of the top 10 research schools in the US. I'm interested in Harvard, JHU, Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and WashU. Those 6 are my dream med schools. What in addition to having an awesome GPA/MCAT, excellent grades in a chem/econ major (bio minor), solid research experience with a couple published papers, a multitude of volunteering experience at the local hospital, my local religious center, and overseas for a couple weeks each summer, a variety of EC's including some intramural sports and choir, spectacular recs and essays, and three summers of competitive internships can I do to gain admission into one or more of the six medical schools I mentioned above after four years at Indiana University. I understand a hook (URM, Division I athlete, or multiple first authorship papers) will get you in, but considering I'm and ORM, not an official athlete, and will try my best to research, what can I do to get in? I'd really prefer to go directly into med school after college, and would like to avoid avenues such as Teach for America, the Peace Corps, and the Army that are great but require 2-3 years after college. Are they my only shot?
You had me at "Hello".
 
I recommend putting all your time and energy into your personal statement before endeavoring to accomplish such feats you mentioned.

There should be no rush/pressure if you truly want to make sure you achieve your dream - if it is truly your dream.

To be honest, I was pretty disappointed when you stated that you couldn't even spend 2-3 years doing something non-pre-professional students would love to do.

I'd say critically analyze how logical it is to put forth all this effort just to impress your parents/high school classmates/whatever and if your prime years are even worth putting up with playing the medical school admissions game.
 
Jesus christ man...how many posts asking the EXACT same thing are you going to make?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad