a H1b visa to j1 conversion... implications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navigator420

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is It Possible To Change From H1b To J1 Visa During The Middle Of Your Residency , If U Decide To Change Your Speciality And J1 Is All Your Program Offers You

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

But it is a decision I would think long and hard about. with the j1 you block yourself from immigration into the US for whatever length of your residency +3 years. So, if your objective is to stay in the US for good, consider finishing your residency, get a greencard and go back to your specialty of choice later on. if immigration into the US is lower on your list of priorities than advancement in the career of your choice, think about it for a week and go for the j1 (But not until after you have gone through the entire hierarchy at the receiving institution trying to convince them to take you on the H1b transfer. btw. with the H1b transfer you can start next week. With a J1, you have to go through the entire rigmarole with ECFMG and a change of status request. With a H1b transfer you are allowed to start working the day USCIS receives your employers application for the transfer. Something to think about for your employer).

the question is any one is allowed to work on H1b for only 6 yrs ,so if i finish my internal medicine and go onto a radiology residency which last for 4 yrs wont it present logistic problems in the final yr of my radiology residency about my visa status , iwas was thinking that a J1 with its 7 yr limit would solve my problem
of course i am a bit naive about the whole issue , so really hoping some one over here knows how i should proceed

Members don't see this ad :)
wont it present logistic problems in the final yr of my radiology residency about my visa status

Yes. But this can be addressed. You will have to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a green-card early during your residency. If you have an application pending, you can get extensions on the 6 year limit. Or you get married, win the lottery etc. Many ways to address this issue down the line.

iwas was thinking that a J1 with its 7 yr limit would solve my problem
A J1 creates problems, it doesn't solve them

quote:

You will have to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a green-card early during your residency. If you have an application pending, you can get extensions on the 6 year limit

did'nt know that , so that's good news , i guess.
so finding employers early in your residency , does that happen often ? or is it going to be as difficult as finding a radiology residency spot .

thx for the reply

so finding employers early in your residency , does that happen often ? or is it going to be as difficult as finding a radiology residency spot .

Depends on how the rads jobmarket develops. 3 years ago, you could have found groups desperate enough to sign you far in advance. It has cooled off a bit since.