A Hypothetical Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarabelle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that you have two interviews in one city -- one is a private school, which you really like and makes you feel at home BUT tuition is around 40K. The other is an in state school which is just fine, not as exciting, but the tuition is 15K-20K cheaper. How do you justify attending the private school? If the two are comparably ranked, etc., why not just go to the public school and save a ton of cash? Anyone else playing around with such a dilemma?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well "makes you feel at home" and "fine" arent exactly helpful descriptions...im sure there are other factors you are considering. i think...and most would agree, that you should go to the school you think you will be happy at. 20k seems like a lot of money now..but you will be making plenty in the future. Medical school is tough enough as it is....you want to be happy where you go if you are lucky enough to have that option.

Just do whatever you think will make you happier. If you'd be happier with less debt, then go to the state school. Otherwise go to the private school if the added cost is worth 'feeling at home.' In the end, just go wherever you'd be happier; there may not be a valid rational response. You can succeed from anywhere if you work hard.

Let's say that you have two interviews in one city -- one is a private school, which you really like and makes you feel at home BUT tuition is around 40K. The other is an in state school which is just fine, not as exciting, but the tuition is 15K-20K cheaper. How do you justify attending the private school? If the two are comparably ranked, etc., why not just go to the public school and save a ton of cash? Anyone else playing around with such a dilemma?

Thanks!
Look, I know you're anxious, but you're way premature here. An interview does not equal an acceptance. You might get into both schools and be faced with this dilemma, but you might only get into one of them or you might not get into either of them. So don't worry about problems you don't have yet. Just go to the interviews and do the best you can to get accepted. Then, if you are fortunate enough to get into both schools, don't make any decisions until you see your financial aid packages. Many private schools give out grants, and it may ultimately be cheaper for you to attend the private school. My school gave me enough aid that it was way cheaper for me to come here over my state school. So you can't know which school will be cheapest just based upon the price tag. Good luck with your interviews. :)