A joke....that feels all too real based on how our sub-specialty is viewed by other clinicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PATHDOCNYCNJ

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A surgeon, internist, radiologist, and pathologist go duck hunting for the first time.

They are huddled in the duck blind and the first bird goes flying in front of them, but they can’t clearly make out if it’s actually a duck.

The internist takes a listen says, “ Well based on what I hear and see on physical exam and what we know about the patterns of ducks, it certainly could be. We should run a series of tests to figure it out, then maybe meet on rounds tomorrow to discuss it for two hours”.

The radiologist takes a photo he quickly examines and interjects, “Well based on the vague pattern I’d favor fowl, but there is motion artifact and the grey-like appearance does not exclude geese, terns, or red-winged blackbirds. I’d recommend more imaging studies.”

The surgeon shakes his head, spits out some of his chewing tobacco, aims his shot gun and BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM blows the bird into oblivion, and it falls to the ground. He turns to the pathologist with his Southern drawl and says “Now go tell me if that’s a Goddamned duck!”

Members don't see this ad.

Old joke with different versions. I first heard this in the mid 2000s (and I'm sure it goes back farther than that). The one I heard was:

A internist, psychiatrist, surgeon, and pathologist go duck hunting. They shoot down a bird, but aren't sure if it's a duck. The internist wanted to run a bunch of tests to determine if it's a duck. The psychiatrist says it walked and talked/quacked like a duck. The surgeon looks confused, turns to the pathologist and asks, "Is this a duck?"

I like this version better, as it humbles the surgeon more...😋

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Old joke with different versions. I first heard this in the mid 2000s (and I'm sure it goes back farther than that). The one I heard was:

A internist, psychiatrist, surgeon, and pathologist go duck hunting. They shoot down a bird, but aren't sure if it's a duck. The internist wanted to run a bunch of tests to determine if it's a duck. The psychiatrist says it walked and talked/quacked like a duck. The surgeon looks confused, turns to the pathologist and asks, "Is this a duck?"

I like this version better, as it humbles the surgeon more...😋
I think the original version is better! The surgeon would cut first before asking the pathologist what is it. That fits better!

A surgeon, internist, radiologist, and pathologist go duck hunting for the first time.

They are huddled in the duck blind and the first bird goes flying in front of them, but they can’t clearly make out if it’s actually a duck.

The internist takes a listen says, “ Well based on what I hear and see on physical exam and what we know about the patterns of ducks, it certainly could be. We should run a series of tests to figure it out, then maybe meet on rounds tomorrow to discuss it for two hours”.

The radiologist takes a photo he quickly examines and interjects, “Well based on the vague pattern I’d favor fowl, but there is motion artifact and the grey-like appearance does not exclude geese, terns, or red-winged blackbirds. I’d recommend more imaging studies.”

The surgeon shakes his head, spits out some of his chewing tobacco, aims his shot gun and BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM blows the bird into oblivion, and it falls to the ground. He turns to the pathologist with his Southern drawl and says “Now go tell me if that’s a Goddamned duck!”
You left off the end; the pathologist‘s response.
After dutifully walking out into the swamp, he retrieved the magnificent specimen and returned with an American bald eagle, pitched it to the surgeon, said “ great shot “ to stroke his ego and went home.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users