How do I overcome being a reapplicant from another specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spes93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently did not match radiology but will be entering PGY1 in a transitional year during which time I will apply Pathology. I initially wanted to Pathology in my first 2 years of med school but changed my mind to radiology because of life experience and exposure my 3rd year.

Being a reapplicant and changing my mind back and forth are red flags. I also have a gap in education (medical leave of absence) that is another red flag. Edit: Also DO, which is a disadvantage.

I'm kind of feeling overwhelmed because Pathology was always a strong interest but now it is difficult to demonstrate that.

My app is strong but sort of radiology heavy. Other than my radiology experiences, I have one first author manuscript publication about lymphoma in pregnancy (primarily imaging but overlaps with pathology), a second author review paper on covid-19/diabetes, and upcoming first author retrospective study on covid-19/diabetes. Step 1/2 260/261, even Honors/HP/Pass in 3rd year, top 1/3 of class.

I know scores gets you an interview, but perceived commitment and interest determines your rank. I can say I am only applying pathology but I'm afraid of how programs will feel by seeming like Plan B.

I would appreciate any insight into this, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t sweat it. The ”bar” to path entry is very low and made of glass. It really seems anyone can match. Like they say; it ain’t brain surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently did not match radiology but will be entering PGY1 in a transitional year during which time I will apply Pathology. I initially wanted to Pathology in my first 2 years of med school but changed my mind to radiology because of life experience and exposure my 3rd year.

Being a reapplicant and changing my mind back and forth are red flags. I also have a gap in education (medical leave of absence) that is another red flag.

I'm kind of feeling overwhelmed because Pathology was always a strong interest but now it is difficult to demonstrate that.

My app is strong but sort of radiology heavy. Other than my radiology experiences, I have one first author manuscript publication about lymphoma in pregnancy (primarily imaging but overlaps with pathology), a second author review paper on covid-19/diabetes, and upcoming first author retrospective study on covid-19/diabetes. Step 1/2 260/261, even Honors/HP/Pass in 3rd year, top 1/3 of class.

I know scores gets you an interview, but perceived commitment and interest determines your rank. I can say I am only applying pathology but I'm afraid of how programs will feel by seeming like Plan B.

I would appreciate any insight into this, thanks!
You got killer scores. I would still pursue Radiology if you truly want it. You only live once and you don’t want to regret doing something you truly love. Rads jobs are great. High salary and a lot of vacation lol.

You shouldn’t have problems getting into A pathology residency assuming you can convince residency programs of your Pathology interest, which will mainly come at the personal statement explaining the change in interest and interview stage.

I would do Radiology if you still love it though! Looks like you worked too hard to give up on radiology if that’s your true calling. If you got to do research with a program director or Chair of a program you are interested in, do it. That’s a good way to develop connections, which will get you in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the reason you didn't match to radiology, especially diagnostic radiology, not IR.
Perhaps, you are not telling us the whole story or have serious personality issues, or something along these lines.

I don't see the reason you didn't match to radiology, especially diagnostic radiology, not IR.
Perhaps, you are not telling us the whole story or have serious personality issues, or something along these lines.
Radiology has gotten significantly more competitive over the past couple years, it would be unusual but not unheard for apps like his to not get matched.

i was nervous/awkard in interviews but I don't think I have serious issues with interacting with others (there's a chance I wasn't actually as awkward/nervous as I think, but that's my explanation for now). All of my clinical evaluations and LORs were great, only 1 evaluation was level of pass the rest being at level of honors. As the post below says, it was a very competitive year, and being a DO is a disadvantage. A small problem with my app (maybe medical leave, or being somewhat nervous/awkward) becomes a lot bigger as a DO.

Last edited:
i was nervous/awkard in interviews but I don't think I have serious issues with interacting with others
Shoot for radiology. We prefer people who have personality disorders or a lack of social skills. Pathology may not be the right fit for you.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Shoot for radiology. We prefer people who have personality disorders or a lack of social skills. Pathology may not be the right fit for you.
Lol those with Asperger syndrome are highly sought after in Pathology.

Radiology has a better job market in my opinion compared to Path. Jobs are limited near large cities still. I know because I looked for one. Experienced pathologists and new trainees are competing for the same jobs.

You can get a job near larger cities but it’ll depend on connections, networking and being at the right place at the right time.

Believe me, if there were an abundance of good jobs near me, my colleagues and I probably wouldn’t stick around in our current job.

Last edited:
Lol those with Asperger syndrome are highly sought after in Pathology.

Radiology has a better job market in my opinion compared to Path. Jobs are limited near large cities still. I know because I looked for one. Experienced pathologists and new trainees are competing for the same jobs.

You can get a job near larger cities but it’ll depend on connections, networking and being at the right place at the right time.

Believe me, if there were an abundance of good jobs near me, my colleagues and I probably wouldn’t stick around in our current job.
I am a rad and wife is path. There are cons and pros in each field. The biggest pro for rad is enormous flexibility (you can set up your own schedule now) and ability to work from home and live anywhere.

I am a rad and wife is path. There are cons and pros in each field. The biggest pro for rad is enormous flexibility (you can set up your own schedule now) and ability to work from home and live anywhere.
That sir is a BIG PLUS. I am looking for a new job. Very few near me. Radiology has no issues finding a job wherever you live am I correct? Even near large cities that most want to live near.

That sir is a BIG PLUS. I am looking for a new job. Very few near me. Radiology has no issues finding a job wherever you live am I correct? Even near large cities that most want to live near.
That is correct. Radiology market is wide open now. Additionally, it's becoming more and more common to work exclusively from home.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
There is no question that radiology is a far wiser career choice than pathology. Getting a good job in pathology takes luck. Getting one in radiology is the norm.

There is no question that radiology is a far wiser career choice than pathology. Getting a good job in pathology takes luck. Getting one in radiology is the norm.
As cynical as I am about the Pathology job market, getting a good job is not entirely based on luck.

The definition of a good job is different for everyone but to me, having at least a 300K job in private practice, relatively stress free working with colleagues you enjoy in a city of your choosing is a good job. You go to work happy. You get to see your family. 8-5 pm. No weekends. No to minimal call.

I know people who have jobs like that. I don’t think they were lucky or maybe they were available at the right place/right time. They trained nearby and got the job because the job was available. I do think jobs are limited however especially near large cities. At least in radiology you can be assured to get a job wherever you like and most importantly, have job options.

A good job may be different to someone else. Like a higher paying job, more time for research (if academics is your thing), etc. there are good jobs still out there, but for every good job there are bad jobs out there as well (which I consider lower pay, lower vacation, low complexity of specimens and/or high workload). There are jobs out there with 2 weeks vacation fwiw.

Last edited:
There are jobs that are higher pay but may be in a location that you and I would not be happy to live in but is good to someone else. The issue that I had when looking for my first job was there were few options. I had to take what I could get. Some other people may have a different experience but that was mine.

In Pathology, some of the good jobs are based off who you know. They never advertise. I knew of a job a few months back through a colleague. I haven’t seen the job advertised online because they don’t have to advertise. There are plenty of people to ask without having to advertise online.

Pathology isn’t like internal medicine where you can easily jump to another job the following week. There are only so many groups in a region or a city and thus, there are only so many spots open for candidates. Larger cities are pumping out 20 grads a year due to numerous programs (5+) and so practices near larger cities have no problems finding someone. Also, realize experienced pathologists are looking for better jobs as well.

Don’t burn bridges in this field. You need friends, the more the better.

Last edited:
There are jobs that are higher pay but may be in a location that you and I would not be happy to live in but is good to someone else. The issue that I had when looking for my first job was there were few options. I had to take what I could get. Some other people may have a different experience but that was mine.

In Pathology, some of the good jobs are based off who you know. They never advertise. I knew of a job a few months back through a colleague. I haven’t seen the job advertised online because they don’t have to advertise. There are plenty of people to ask without having to advertise online.

Pathology isn’t like internal medicine where you can easily jump to another job the following week. There are only so many groups in a region or a city and thus, there are only so many spots open for candidates. Larger cities are pumping out 20 grads a year due to numerous programs (5+) and so practices near larger cities have no problems finding someone. Also, realize experienced pathologists are looking for better jobs as well.

Don’t burn bridges in this field. You need friends, the more the better.
Does the residency you go to have an impact on fellowship and where you can work as an attending?

Does the residency you go to have an impact on fellowship and where you can work as an attending?
No it doesn’t but I do recommend if you want to live in an area with a tight job market train there so you can make connections. I did two fellowships and looked for a job over 3 years ago.

Had a difficult time finding a job near a large city but I got one. Now looking for a new job and there are few jobs around me. Let’s hope for the best and that I’ll get “lucky”.