A Late MCAT date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I am a new member posting on SDN forum (though I have visited often). Currently, I have registered for the May 28th MCAT date. My reason for choosing this date is because spring semester for my school does not end until mid-May so I thought the 28th would give me some breathing time after the finals and some last minute studying. But I am worried whether the date is too late for the 2009-2010 application cycle, since application cycle begin on June 1st and I won't be getting my MCAT score back until June 30th, which means that AMCAS won't finish verifying my app until at east 4 weeks later and have it submitted by end of July/early August. Since med school acceptance is on a first come and first serve bases, I might be at an disadvantage. Should I change my MCAT to an earlier date, like May 2nd or April? Also, can you submit the AMCAS app b/f you have your MCAT score? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
you can submit the application before your MCAT results are in. You can also add more schools later if you find that your score dictates you to do so (ie, shot-gun approach due to low scores OR addition of more reach schools due to high scores).
Taking the exam on May 28th does not make you late. It will only make you late if you performed poorly and have to take it again (which would cause a significant delay).
Just remember, study to take it one time only. Coming back to study for it a second (or even third) time is expensive, time-consuming, and may drive the applicant to brief bouts of insanity :oops:

Hey Everyone!
I am a new member posting on SDN forum (though I have visited often). Currently, I have registered for the May 28th MCAT date. My reason for choosing this date is because spring semester for my school does not end until mid-May so I thought the 28th would give me some breathing time after the finals and some last minute studying. But I am worried whether the date is too late for the 2009-2010 application cycle, since application cycle begin on June 1st and I won't be getting my MCAT score back until June 30th, which means that AMCAS won't finish verifying my app until at east 4 weeks later and have it submitted by end of July/early August. Since med school acceptance is on a first come and first serve bases, I might be at an disadvantage. Should I change my MCAT to an earlier date, like May 2nd or April? Also, can you submit the AMCAS app b/f you have your MCAT score? Thanks in advance!!

That is not late at all..it will not effect you getting in or not. Realize this though..its great to apply early but if you mess up the MCAT cause you took it early then nothing matters. I'm taking it like June..."late" to some but I could care less as long as I do well on it

Thank you so much guys! I felt much better now. You both make a really good point about only planning to take the MCAT once and doing very well on it, so I should really just choose a date that makes me the most comfortable. Oh, and to DrMattOglesby, it is great to see a fellow Psychology major on here (I took a look at your MDapplicant profile) :)