1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

a lil help orgo question..

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by egots, Aug 6, 2006.

1. egots

egots Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    mixture of alanine(pI=6) and aspartic acid(pI=3) subted to electrophoresis at pH=3...what would occur

i know aspartic acid has no movement but i thought that alanine would migrate to the anode but the answer in kaplan says cathode...i thought regardless of protonation the relationship is

pH (positive goes to cathode) < pI < pH (negative goes to anode)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. marylanddds

marylanddds Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  4. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

In a battery or other source of direct current, the cathode is the positive terminal.

In electrolysis, cathode is the negative electrode in the electrolytic cell.

5. slayerdeus

slayerdeus Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No you are wrong. If the pI of aniline is 6 it will still have to be protonated at pH 3. If aniline is still protonated then that means it will still have a positive charge, thus it will go towards the cathode.

6. slayerdeus

slayerdeus Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't forget that pI is the pH where the molecule has no net charge. Thus putting the compound with a certain pI in a solution that has lower pH than its pI would add protons and positive charge making it more positive. Conversely putting the compound with a certain pI in a solution that has a high pH than its pI would removed protons and negative charge making it more negative.

7. egots

egots Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know what you mean but Kaplan threw me off with the pH < pI think negative and ph> pI think positive…but in reality if the solutions pH is less then pI it will protonate those molecues in the solution and make it positive…and when it is greater it will deprotonate

For solutions:
    pH < pI … travel to cathode b/c of protonation
    pH > pI … travel to anode b/c of deprotonation