A little advice for a 1st Timer

Started by jenjas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jenjas

REDSOXNATION
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi......
I have never posted here before, but view this forum religously. Congrats to those who matched. Anyway, I am a US FMG (St. George's), am currently an MS III in my last 3rd year rotation. I knew I wanted to do anesthesia so I did a 4 week rotation about a month ago (break between cores). My question is, do I need to do another 2-4 weeks of anesthesia or is one 4 week elective enough? I'm pretty sure my letter is going to be decent from this place. But do you need 2 letters from the field or is one enough? I have one from my IM core also because I was told that is kind of the general trend. How many weeks did you guys do, and how many letters did you have for anesthesia specifically.

I am from the west, and I realize that being a US FMG is going to hurt my chances of getting a residency back there, or let alone anywhere in gas. I would love Zona, U of U, USC, New Mex, IA....but I know I will have a better chance of matching in the east, just because there are more programs. I have a little research experience at the U of U (never published), was an anesthesia tech in Utah for a few years so I have put in a good share of A-lines, and my steps are 233/94 on USMLE 1, and I take 2 in a few months. Which I hear if your an FMG is more important (any truth to that?). I am pretty confident that I can match somewhere (cross fingers) but is shooting for the midwest-west unrealistic because of where I went to school? Thats not a dumb question I hope!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
 
I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Your scores are good and I think St. George has a good reputation. I don't think the places you are aiming for are super competitive. One letter is also probably enough. Having good letters from major rotations is more important than having a lot of anesthesia letters. Most folks have a month or less of anesthesia experience before applying, anyhow. I imagine your anesthesia tech experience will look good on your application, too. Welcome and best of luck.
 
Your credentials look pretty good. The Step I score will open the door for you. If Step II is good you'll be even better. As a Ross grad I can tell you that I was well received at many programs. I am not too certain about the programs out West. I only applied to New Mexico and UTSW. The rest of my programs were East of the Mississippi. You should get interviews. You'll just have to be on-the-ball during interviews.
As far as doing more rotations in ANE, it is up to you. I only did one month. It won't hurt if you don't do more but it may help. Good Luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys.....For Docmojo, what did you think of U of New Mexico?
 
Hey Jenjas,

First I wish you the best luck and I truly think you'll have decent chances at getting Anesthesia in teh West somewhere. Just FYI, there are a few matches from SGU this year in Gas and one even in Stanford University.

Second, I'd love to keep in touch with you in the future cause i am an MS I in SGU and also from the West (LA) and even was an Anesthesia tech for a few years> Since I am also hoping to get Anesthesia, and am scared to death also cause my fiance and I want to try and couple match for California or somewhere close. Please tell me where you did your anesthesia rotation and what place s are good. If yopu can, email me at [email protected].

Best of luck!