A little advice for a 1st Timer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenjas

REDSOXNATION
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi......
I have never posted here before, but view this forum religously. Congrats to those who matched. Anyway, I am a US FMG (St. George's), am currently an MS III in my last 3rd year rotation. I knew I wanted to do anesthesia so I did a 4 week rotation about a month ago (break between cores). My question is, do I need to do another 2-4 weeks of anesthesia or is one 4 week elective enough? I'm pretty sure my letter is going to be decent from this place. But do you need 2 letters from the field or is one enough? I have one from my IM core also because I was told that is kind of the general trend. How many weeks did you guys do, and how many letters did you have for anesthesia specifically.

I am from the west, and I realize that being a US FMG is going to hurt my chances of getting a residency back there, or let alone anywhere in gas. I would love Zona, U of U, USC, New Mex, IA....but I know I will have a better chance of matching in the east, just because there are more programs. I have a little research experience at the U of U (never published), was an anesthesia tech in Utah for a few years so I have put in a good share of A-lines, and my steps are 233/94 on USMLE 1, and I take 2 in a few months. Which I hear if your an FMG is more important (any truth to that?). I am pretty confident that I can match somewhere (cross fingers) but is shooting for the midwest-west unrealistic because of where I went to school? Thats not a dumb question I hope!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Your scores are good and I think St. George has a good reputation. I don't think the places you are aiming for are super competitive. One letter is also probably enough. Having good letters from major rotations is more important than having a lot of anesthesia letters. Most folks have a month or less of anesthesia experience before applying, anyhow. I imagine your anesthesia tech experience will look good on your application, too. Welcome and best of luck.

Your credentials look pretty good. The Step I score will open the door for you. If Step II is good you'll be even better. As a Ross grad I can tell you that I was well received at many programs. I am not too certain about the programs out West. I only applied to New Mexico and UTSW. The rest of my programs were East of the Mississippi. You should get interviews. You'll just have to be on-the-ball during interviews.
As far as doing more rotations in ANE, it is up to you. I only did one month. It won't hurt if you don't do more but it may help. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.....For Docmojo, what did you think of U of New Mexico?

Hey Jenjas,

First I wish you the best luck and I truly think you'll have decent chances at getting Anesthesia in teh West somewhere. Just FYI, there are a few matches from SGU this year in Gas and one even in Stanford University.

Second, I'd love to keep in touch with you in the future cause i am an MS I in SGU and also from the West (LA) and even was an Anesthesia tech for a few years> Since I am also hoping to get Anesthesia, and am scared to death also cause my fiance and I want to try and couple match for California or somewhere close. Please tell me where you did your anesthesia rotation and what place s are good. If yopu can, email me at [email protected].

Best of luck!