a little advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngdoc8205

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII interested in peds, and I'd like to apply to the top 15-20 programs, my step 1 is 243, and I've done all rotations except for ob and IM and have all HP and H, and HP in peds with very good evals (they're pretty stingy with H's in my program). My year I and II have been mostly HP and H, with 1 or 2 Ps, my question is I had to remediate the oral exam portion of our clinical skills class, because I was nervous and forgot to ask some questions, so now I have a big R on my transcript that WILL show up on ERAS. My question is will that R hurt me if i'm applying to these top notch places. I know that 99% of peds programs are virtually identical, but I still want to apply specifically to these places. Any insight in this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To specifically answer your question, I'm not entirely positive, but I doubt it. Your record otherwise is very nice, and one little slipup shouldn't hurt you, especially if you can explain well what happened if asked in an interview.

I think you'll be fine. Best of luck! :D

Do we do Fatty McFattypants in Peds or is that an EM only thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply, has anyone been in a similar situation and got interviews at these places, also I'm thinking of applying to some smaller programs in the northeast, like maimonedes, but i go to school in the midwest, do you think the R in this ridiculous class will hurt me much? thanks

sorry, that's only an EM thing...we should make our own, that'd be fun

BTW youngdoc, hopefully residency people out there realize that schools do have ridiculous classes...

HOWEVER i would expect to be asked about it at each of your interviews and have a good response for it...not that each interviewer will ask you, but to be prepared would be a must

Ummmm....it seems like everyone understands this but me? Haha. Please -- what on earth is Fatty McFattypants!?!?!?!?! :laugh:

Do a search for it on the EM forum...its basically a response whenever anyone asks a "what are my chances" question, or if someone asks "what's the best EM program" a frequent response is In-N-Out Residency...don't ask me what the origins of either of these phrases are, i have no idea.

I still vote that Itchy McAntsypants should be what we respond with whenever someone asks a "what are my chances" with a Step 1 score of 270 and a PhD :laugh:

Yeah, any question that could be answered by spending ten minutes doing a search warrants a Fatty in the EM forums. It does tend to discourage laziness and repetitive discussions.

I second the Itchy McAntsypants motion.

PM me- I have first hand experience in answering your question!