A little advisement please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhinex60

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a currently a rising junior with a 4.0 GPA at SJU. I have taken all my pre-reqs and it is possible for me to graduate by this spring. I am wondering if i should do this though? If i do graduate this spring, I plan to go to Tulane's One Year Master's Program and apply to medical school at the same time. The only reason I am rethinking doing this is because in high school I took some college-extension SCALE courses in which I got C's in. They were English courses, so I was thinking about doing a minor in English to disprove these grades, I am not bad in English, I just did not care, nor did I think they would count once in college. :/ What do you guys think I should do? Should I stay with my current University and do a double major with a minor in English or should I finish my B.A in Biology and go for a Master in Cell Biology. Lastly, does English count as BCPM? Also, I dont know if this will make sense but when you're during the AMCAS application, do you get to PICK the 2 english classes to furfill the requirement. If you do, then i can just take two upper level English courses to balance that out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, so frustrating.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

English grades do not count toward your BCPM grade (hence the BCPM for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math).

Someone else can answer your other questions because I'm sure others are more knowledgeable about that kinda stuff than I am. Good Luck.

I would go ahead and graduate in 3. Reasons some say 3 years isn't ideal is because of maturity, and when you apply, you only have two years of coursework, and they aren't upper division classes. You will be of the same maturity in that you are the same age since you are doing the 1 year SMP. Since you will have completed your degree when you apply, you will have three years of course work, like most traditional applicants, and that coursework includes upper division classes. I would say go for it.

thanks, i have heard the maturity argument before but I dont think that should be a problem. Any other opinions?