A Little Bit Of Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkJ2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a good couple of books to get at a local library to get an early start on a job in orthopedic surgery? I would like information like what to study in college, what some of the terminology means, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

What would be a good couple of books to get at a local library to get an early start on a job in orthopedic surgery? I would like information like what to study in college, what some of the terminology means, etc.?

For Serious??? Your line of questioning seems a little precocious...
First get into college (any college, but preferably a good one).
Second, study whatever you want, making sure to meet the medical school requisites. That "good" college you attend can tell you all about what they are.
Thirdly, do really well in college. That means you will have to give up doing all that leisure reading you're doing in the field of orthopaedic surgery.
Fourth, apply and matriculate to medical school (any medical school, but preferably a good one).
Fifth, do really well in medical school. That means you will have to give up doing all that leisure reading you're doing in the field of orthopaedic surgery, except when you are actually on your orthopaedic surgery rotation.
Sixth realize that you shouldn't pidgeon hole your career options at this point in your life and ask stupid questions on internet web forums.

Too early dude.

Do some other stuff now, come back in 2-3 years and we can talk.

If you're interested in an orthopaedic surgery autobiography, I enjoyed Hot Lights, Cold Steel.

I started getting interested in ortho back in high school myself. I'm a 4th year in med school now and my interest hasn't changed. Hawk, there's nothing wrong with thinking you want to do ortho right now, but just keep your options open in case you find something that you might want to do more.