a little help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazygal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D Hey guys,

I have always been interested in medicine, but I only discovered osteopathic medicine this summer. I am a runner, and I went to an osteopathic sports medcine physician only to discover I really like the way he operated. Anyways, I have competitive scores, and I would like to apply both MD and DO.

I am in the process of trying to get a letter of rec from the doc I saw this summer and hopefully do some shadowing as well.

What schools would you suggest I look into?

I am interested in OSU, Mich St, DMU, Kansas City, Kirksville, and Ohio. Any thoughts on any of these? I've done a lot of research on their websites and searched on here. I just wondered if anyone had any additional info. In particular, it seems that OSU (88% in-state) and Mich St (80% in-state) may be very hard to get into. Anyone know exactly how hard this is?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

crazygal,
Don't worry so much about how difficult a school is to get into because if you are truly intersted in that school you'll come up with a good enough reason why they'll want you during the interview. So, for right now, think about how you can get an interview. Usually this takes competative scores like you said you have, a good personal statement and a few good letters of recommendation. In the case of OU a commitment to work in Ohio for a certain number of years after you finish. :)

Sorry for the off-topicness but I'm curious. What do people mean by a "non-traditional" med student? Post-bacch programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you aren't from Ohio you may have a tough time with OUCOM, and if you do get an interview from them you will have to sign a 5-year contract to practice in Ohio post medical training. If you are from Ohio then you are lucky and OUCOM seems like a great school, it is just a shame how they treat out-of-staters.

With competitive #s, you have a decent chance at OSU-COM. Seems to me that it would definitely be worth the extra $ to apply (last I checked, the secondary fee was $25). They hold a certain # of spots for out-of-staters, btw. (which goes along with the % you posted)

Class size at OSU-COM is 88, which is smaller than many. I've liked it because it is small enough that I know something about everyone in the class, but not so small that we smother each other.

I'm not sure what else you want to know. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the school. You can feel free to PM me if you wish or post something here.

fpr85 said:
Sorry for the off-topicness but I'm curious. What do people mean by a "non-traditional" med student? Post-bacch programs?

non-trads are those that didn't take the usual high school-->college-->medical school route.

DrMom said:
With competitive #s, you have a decent chance at OSU-COM. Seems to me that it would definitely be worth the extra $ to apply (last I checked, the secondary fee was $25). They hold a certain # of spots for out-of-staters, btw. (which goes along with the % you posted)

Class size at OSU-COM is 88, which is smaller than many. I've liked it because it is small enough that I know something about everyone in the class, but not so small that we smother each other.

I'm not sure what else you want to know. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the school. You can feel free to PM me if you wish or post something here.

Same thing with MSUCOM. Its competitive, especially for an out of state applicant, but if you have a compelling reason and want to spend the $45,000 for tuition, go for it. Its truly one of the best medical schools out there, and Michigan is VERY DO friendly. There is never any MD v. DO crap around here. In fact, we take our first year courses along with the MD students.