A little help (when things aren't going well)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers, I'm looking for some quick advice. Currently I'm an undergrad in engineering, Junior year, and I'm conducting research under 2 PI's (same project). I've been working for them for roughly a year now, but these particular PI's have EXTREMELY high expectations. So high, that they've had 3 PhD students in the last 5 years combined.. bottom line: most students can't handle the intensity. As a ugrad, and this being my first research experience, I was expecting some support on the project. Yeah I've had some, but not much. The PI's basically tell me to figure it out. Prime example: whenever I ask them to help analyze data (that I'm unfamiliar with) they tell me to figure it out and I'd better come back and tell them what it means. Long story short, over the fast year things haven't gone well. Not much data has been collected because many things fail, and nobody has gotten this concept to work. They are still pushing me to get good results and to figure it out (and they're disappointed in my performance); they also tell me that I'm essentially a grad student (though I'm not). With all my courses and reports, I just haven't had time to do research, especially since I'm being unpaid. I used to put in 30 hr weeks, but I just don't have the time anymore. What would your advice be? I'm thinking I need to talk to them (though I've tried, but they refuse to let me cut back on hours). What are your thoughts and advice for this? Anybody else experience this? Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Point as an undergrad is honestly to learn stuff first before you try to do some things on your own. If you don't have a grip by now, then move on to a different lab.

Many labs will present you with a similar scenario anyways, but a change of scenery might yield a helpful grad student/phD student.

Just stop showing up at the lab :highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Point as an undergrad is honestly to learn stuff first before you try to do some things on your own. If you don't have a grip by now, then move on to a different lab.

Many labs will present you with a similar scenario anyways, but a change of scenery might yield a helpful grad student/phD student.

This. At this juncture finding a new lab might be beneficial.

sabotage the lab, then leave? their fault for letting a ****ty undergrad volunteer.

This. At this juncture finding a new lab might be beneficial.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is I can't switch labs now because I need a lab to do my senior thesis in and I'm going away for the summer to do research at another lab. I also need LOR's for grad school and leaving now probably wouldn't reflect on me too well.

Sounds like you've left yourself with two choices.

1. Figure it out on your own, as they have ordered.

2. Tell them that they need to teach you the basics of how to analyze and interpret the data. Tell them that you want to do the job, and have tried to figure it out on your own but you are unable. Until they help you get started you will only be able to deliver the same unsatisfactory results you've been giving them for the last year. Tell them that if they get you started, you will figure the rest out.

You need to be direct with them and stand your ground if you actually want them to help you. Otherwise, you really do need to figure it out on your own.

Good luck!