SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

A little help with upper level science courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by numberrronee, May 15, 2008.

1. numberrronee

numberrronee SebastiaN 2+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2006
    i am transferring to Rutgers in the fall but taking a summer course this summer. Im taking Chem II in the summer at Rutgers. I just found out I need to take two upper level biology courses since i took bio I and II at community college. im doing this because i want to get into the BA/MD program they have. If i have to take BioChem and Organic Chem, then what other courses should i have to take with them. Im sure that those two subjects are enough alone but i def need A's in them. Then what should i take the following semester with orgo II.

or should i choose something else with organic, but its gotta be upper level bio
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SB25

SB25 2+ Year Member

May 20, 2008
    I found cell bio to be very beneficial. It's a tough class-lots of signaling pathways to remember-but I really found that it broadened my understanding of how the body functions at the cellular level. It's helpful for the MCAT and a good intro to what we'll need to learn in med school, too. Most med schools have it listed as one of those "not required, but highly recommended" classes.
  4. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    the easiest ones.
  5. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2008
    biochem + orgo is usually pretty difficult (time consuming). according to upperclassmen at my school, there is a lot of overlap, but some of the stuff you learn in orgo is needed for stuff in biochem. also, (at least at my school) their tests may be scheduled back to back (sometimes back to back during the same day, but usually back to back as in if biochem is tested on monday, organic will be tested on tuesday) so that could suck depending on your studying patterns.

other classes to consider include: genetics, evolution, immunobiology, classes in specific diseases/disorders/syndromes/w.e. (like AIDS), the nervous system, signaling and development in disease, etc. your best bet is to try and find upperclassmen to give some advice or find an adept academic/pre-health adviser.

but yea biochem is usually a prereq to many upper levels so you might want to get it out of the way (but i suggest a light course load if you want to take biochem and orgo plus labs)