A Little Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm into my home-stretch of studying. I take the test next Friday, and I'm going to take the rest of today off to re-energize, and study until early Thursday afternoon. After looking at my NBME/UWSA performances, I've found some areas that could definitely use some help:

Cardio
Phys
Gross Anatomy/Embryo
MSK/CT

I feel like anatomy's a lost cause at this point, and it'll just depend on what shows up on the test. Cardio, I realize, is a BIG deal. Should I try to re-read those Goljan chapters, listen to Goljan audio on that subject (which I haven't previously done), or any other ideas?
Phys seems pretty vague, and I'm not sure there's much I can do about that now, unless someone has an idea.
MSK/CT, I think, I just need to buckle down and really learn that section in FA.

Ideas, suggestions, advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you read cardio BRS? I remember it being helpful, especially since cardio questions seem to be mostly phys related. I love UWorld for Embryo, they explain things really well and I think it's sufficient. For my weaknesses I mostly plan on sticking to FA and reading over and over.

If you can get your hands on HY embryo, it's like 40 pages. I've got a few UW questions right from reading it, and I hate embryo. I almost hate myself for having once been an embryo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have HY Embryo and think it's overkill. I tried to read it and gave up after a few pages. I'm going on the assumption that if you can understand and memorize the embryo in FA that should (hopefully) be all that we need. If you can't understand FA you might try the embryo stuff in the Kaplan books if you can get a hold of them. They are a shorter and easier read than the HY book for this subject.

hy embryo might be a lot of pages but i think it was worth it. they integrate stuff the whole book so it has clinical outcomes and reinforces anatomy/genetic diseases etc. Its a big reivew with key embryo points. its not for everyone, but i think it helped me. I had a bunch of embryo on my test and genetics....its up to u but i found it a fast read.

As far as the other subjects..if its physio...go with FA, if you need more substance do brs. I think physio card/res/renal is not my best, but the real test for me wasnt that challenging in those areas at all. I would use first aid and get the general things down. like the jvp tracings, pressure/vol loop....if its the path in those subjects..ABSOLUTELY do goljan.....!!!!

Hope that helps!:)

Hmm...my library catalog seems to think HY Embryo is like 190 pages. Are you sure that's the right book?

The older version is 1/4 the size of the new ones. My first edition is 47 pages :D It took me 4 hrs... I'm sure they have it on amazon.

I spent maybe 5-6 hours reviewing Embryo a little over a week ago. I think I used it to read the 12+ pages in FA on Embryo, and about the first 15 or so chapters of HY Embryo. In HY Embryo, I paid particular attention to the heart-related stuff, neuro-related stuff, and each chapter's "Clinical Correlations". Hopefully it will be enough. Might be worth your time if you have it. If not, maybe just review "Embryo" answer explanations in UWorld?