A little info about NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student for your information and I am definitely getting sick and tired of the posts defending NYUCD. I see no benefit being at the school. I noticed you keep avoiding my comment on the number of ACADEMIC ADVISORS serving students. There are ONLY TWO/per entire student body. This is DISGUSTING and shows the gready character of NYUCD; students get nothing for their money. Not even damn advisors. They have you wait 2 to 3 months to schedule the appointment. It's sickening and makes me :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Ok what exactly do you need academic advice on? Everyone takes the same exact classes, if you're having trouble you speak with the faculty; if you're having even more problems or in trouble of failing, you can speak with the dean of academic affairs. I don't see how the number of advisors makes the school such a horrible place. I personally have never even seen who these advisors are so I can't say what they do exactly, but my point being is that I've never had to use them, nor have the vast majority of classmates that I know of.

Yes, my tution is paying their salaries and while I may not be taking advantage of their services I've gotten my money's worth through being well prepared for the boards and licensure exams, the opportunity to work on more advanced cases in conjunction with different specialties, including time at the implant dept and several cases through aesthetics dept. I was able to do do a couple years of research merely because I brought the idea to a faculty on a whim and he went on board immediately. I got to see what all the different specialties are like, was able to do more complex cases in pedo when I decided I wanted to go into that field and eventually matched to a pediatric program. So yes, I do feel like I got a lot at this school, but again these are just my experiences.

On the occasions where I've needed to see a dean for something I have been able to simply walk in and see them if they are available. Yes, that sometimes means waiting 30 or so minutes, but I have never had to wait the 2 to 3 months you talk about.

While you're sick of people defending NYU, I'm equally sick of people bringing down my school. Hell yes I have pride for NYUl, you may hate it, but I've loved my experience here. Of course this maybe due to the fact that I've done well in all classes, boards, clinics, etc and I've simply had no issues with the program and faculty.

Why don't you give specific information about what gives you dissatisfaction with NYU? I can't imagine it's only because there are a limited number of academic advisors available to the school. Again, I can only say the experiences you get are what you put into it. Yes this school will not hold your hand and show you the many things that are available to you but it has been my personal experience that no door has been closed to me when I was interested in doing something.

Despite what others have said about the nyucd, I liked the school when I interviewed, already put down the deposit, and will be attending school in the fall.

Sure... had I got into my state schools (UCLA or UCSF), I would have gone there... (I didn't). but it's not like the end of the world you know. yeah, I will be in a full load of debt more so than my fellow dental students at state schools, but in the end, I will get my education, and everything will turn out okay.

I heard gazillion times how NYU drops its students (purposedly or not).. and I don't give a rat's ass about the rumor (whether it's true or not). If you are determined to work hard and had a gpa/dat score to get an acceptance from any dental school, there should be no reason why you would be so concerned about failing out from dental school.

every school has its ups and downs and it's no different for nyu. I know, the school's not perfect but go ask any dental student at other school.. they will have a fair share of complaints too.

my advice: don't listen to whiners, suck it up, work hard, graduate from school, and become the best dentist you could ever be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok what exactly do you need academic advice on? Everyone takes the same exact classes, if you're having trouble you speak with the faculty; if you're having even more problems or in trouble of failing, you can speak with the dean of academic affairs. I don't see how the number of advisors makes the school such a horrible place. I personally have never even seen who these advisors are so I can't say what they do exactly, but my point being is that I've never had to use them, nor have the vast majority of classmates that I know of.

Why don't you give specific information about what gives you dissatisfaction with NYU? I can't imagine it's only because there are a limited number of academic advisors available to the school. Again, I can only say the experiences you get are what you put into it. Yes this school will not hold your hand and show you the many things that are available to you but it has been my personal experience that no door has been closed to me when I was interested in doing something.

I wondered the same question-What exactly do you need academic advice on?

I am debating between Tufts and NYU. I would also like to hear specifics of why you don't like the schoold, not just useless information like no academic advisiors.

Everyone takes the same classes, so unless you can't keep up, academic advisors shouldn't be important.

I am a current student for your information and I am definitely getting sick and tired of the posts defending NYUCD. I see no benefit being at the school. I noticed you keep avoiding my comment on the number of ACADEMIC ADVISORS serving students. There are ONLY TWO/per entire student body. This is DISGUSTING and shows the gready character of NYUCD; students get nothing for their money. Not even damn advisors. They have you wait 2 to 3 months to schedule the appointment. It's sickening and makes me :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

hey buldog, can u tell me somthing about the clinic situation ??

ya, you are old enough to do things on your own. you dont need people to hold your hand to grow. if you are interested on things, you would have question and search for the answer on your own.

thats a good way of putting it...if we were all perfect...but sometimes we in life you have to face hurdles that require support. All of us have different things to deal with professionally/personally...a support system in these circumstances can't hurt

4. I didn't like the block rotations that the classes were put in. I'm not sure how the didactics are anymore, but when I was a first and second year, we would have anatomy for 7 weeks, biochem for 4 weeks, etc. I didn't learn much that way.

Explain how this works. Does it mean you only take 1 science class at a time?

NYU is one of my top choices. 2 of my friends currently attend NYU. they have given me some advice. They told me that they will both be $400K in debt by the time they get out (includes interest). 1 of them wants to specialize so that's another $200K debt for her. They both attended NYU at first because it seemed very exciting and a life-changing once in a lifetime opportunity, which I completely agree. They both also prefer large a large class size and love nyc.

Their classmates and them have also told me that at the age we are now (young student just graduating), we do not fully grasp or understand large amounts of money and borrowing large amounts of money. We just think, "oh i can def pay it back being a dentist" which of course is the truth. They will be paying $3000/month for 30 years. if you specialize, it will be about +$4000/month. This is just to give you a REALISTIC look at it. but of course it's still hard to fathom at this age/time in our life when we don't fully grasp or understand dealing with large sums of money. I myself still want to attend nyu because I am not a person who needs a ton of money in order to live and be happy. I'm not the type of person that has to have an expensive car/house/vacations/clothes, so I don't mind paying more of my income to loans. On the otherhand, if you care a lot about these things, and want to make the most of your money (go on vacations a lot, buy nice things), then you may want to reconsider just because it will not be as easy for you to do these right away if you're paying back more loans/month. of course you can still buy nice things regardless, but it will be much less of a struggle if you go to a cheaper school. They both also agree that they don't have much time to see NYC too much, so they feel as though the rent they are paying is not really worth it. They also complain about constant traffic and honking at night but they've both learned to tune it out. If you must have silence at night when you're sleeping, this is also something to consider. I prefer noise when falling asleep.

the dentist i currently shadow are always complaining about paying their loans back and they both went to state schools.

nothing i've said should be taken too seriously, just take it as extra info/advice that's nice to know.