a little long but please read and see if you have any input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikemd2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to improve GPA and overall chances of getting accepted into medical school? I recently graduated with a degree in psychology from a pretty good university (not ivy league) and my stats are as follows: overall GPA 3.0, only the pre-reqs classes 2.7, i have also completed 15 credits of biology classes (human physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and neuroscience) with nothing lower than a B. I'm not sure if this would be calculated into my BCPM GPA, but if it is my BCPM gpa should be around a 3.0. Other than my gpa my mcat, x-curricular activities, lor, a few months of psy and chemistry research, undergraduate teaching, etc. are all good.

Do you think it would be better to take some additional undergraduate classes (virology, immunology, cell biology, some chemistry classes, etc.) in order to raise my underdrag gpa, or would it be better to try and get an MPH or a special non-thesis master's degree in biomedical science?

Taking the undergraduate classes seems like a good idea to me because i was told that as long as the classes are at the UG level they will count towards my undergrad gpa even though i already grauduated. This will allow me to have a job and take 2 classes per semester. On the other hand, i heard that the master's or MPH degrees will be valuable and if i do well in those classes (>3.5) theres a good chance that medical schools will notice that and overlook my UG gpa.

By the way, the reaosn my UG is so low is because the first 3 years my gpa was below 2.0 and i was put on probation and kicked out. After i came back it took me 2 years and 2 summer sessions (86 credits) to graduate. The final 86 credits with a gpa of 3.4. During the semester that i was suspended i attended community college and managed to receive 28 credits (summer and fall term) with a 3.7 gpa. So together ever since i was suspended i have managed to obtain 113 credits with a 3.5 gpa.

Im sorry that this is so long but im just trying to figure out what the best option for me is. If anyone has any advice or info on anything please respond.

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into a formal post-bacc or special masters program. Forget the MPH, you need some hard core science work.

Well, the first thing I would say is to share this information and talk to your premed advisor and see what he/she says (if you havent already). I think myself and others on this forum can give you lots of advice based on our own experiences, but I think everyone is different and what worked for one person may not be the best for you.

Your BCMP gpa includes any and all classes that are classified under biology/chemistry/math/physics, not just the prerequisites. I recieved the same advice about the special masters programs, I think most schools will "overlook" your undergrad gpa if you do well in the masters program and have a decent mcat. MPH is usually only a good route if youve previously done well in upper level science classes (since many MPH classes might not be considered "tough" science course) and have an interest in public health (it seems like most MPH programs are 2 yrs and require you to show interest in public health to get accepted). People will probably give you varied advice on your chances of admission, but I would think a fulltime program would be more effective than taking 2 undergrad classes a semester parttime, especially if youve been put on academic probation previously (I think you have to report that on AMCAS). Talk to a premed advisor and stay positive, there are tons of stories of people that have stats like yours that do a postbac and get accepted!