A little resource direction please!: application "timeline"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ServiceFirst

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it exists somewhere because I've seen it before, but I'm having trouble finding it: a thread (previously sticky maybe?) detailing where you "should" be in terms of having things prepared for your medical school application (ex: when to have letters written by, when to have finalized selection of schools by, transcripts, etc.).

If someone is familiar with a resource like this, would you kindly point me towards it? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The timing of individual components doesn't matter, only the complete date. Ask for LoRs by graduation so you can ask in person. The ideal complete date is July to be very early, August to be normal/good. This is sometimes described as try to be complete by the start of Sept or try to be complete by Labor Day.

I'd personally recommend asking for LOR's ASAP-don't wait until the end of the term. Professors can be really busy. If you haven't already then take your MCAT-ideally by the end of May. Try to have your primary app in by June (doesn't have to be first day possible, but try to aim for a day within a week or two of the first day). Once you get secondaries try to turn those in ASAP-at most within two weeks, unless the school requests it even earlier.